Should I pitch this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingprogonehomebrewer

Reaction score
Im at the start of my 60 min boil, and I have a Wyeast pack I smacked 4 hours ago and the pack hasnt swelled vary much at, all if any. Should I try using it or go with another pack. I dont have anymore Wyeast, but have some dry? What would you guys do?

what is the OG of the beer? what is the style? how far are you from a LHBS?

its a light wheat, just using up what I had. The OG should be low. Its nothing fancy at all. I wish I was closer to a LHBS, but that out.

Heres what Im doing.

3lbs light (plain) DME
3lbs plain wheat

1oz cascade (bittering)
.5oz sazz flaver
.5oz sazz aroma

i assume you mean wheat dme or lme?

what is the best by date on the yeast. also, which strain?

after all of my questions, i think the answer is just to pitch it in as-is.

is the pack swelling at all? you're sure you broke the little thing inside?

has the yeast been frozen or heated over 100 degrees?

Thanks progmac, I did just pitch it and hope for the best. As far as I know it was never frozen or heated over 100. I put the pack in a warmer place and it swelled a little more before pitching. thanks for your help though.

Everyone should keep a few packs of clean, dry yeast on hand. Better to pitch the wrong dry yeast than potentially have a batch infect while you're waiting to get more yeast. Also works to bottle high OG beers.

If you pitch it and it doesn't ferment well, you can always re-oxygenate and pitch more in a day or two.

Back