Should I Pitch This? Brew Day Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted464

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About a month ago I made a Helles Bock which is still lagering. I used WLP833 (German Bock – 2 vials) and the OG on the Helles was about 1.057 which ended at 1.005. The 2 vials were started in a large 4L starter prior to pitching. I washed the yeast and got two mason jars of white yeast cells out of it (about ¾” of cells on bottom of jars), which I stored in the fridge for about a week or so.

Today I am making a Munich Dunkel – shooting for close to the same gravity mid 1.050s. Last night I made a large 4L starter with ½ lb of DME. I pitched both mason jars. Within one hour at room temp (about 62 degrees) the yeast was blowing through the top of the airlock! Within four hours it was whistling like a firecracker. Is this extremely fast take-off normal? Did I overpitch? My main question is should I use this yeast today for this batch? I have made many ales but this is only my second lager, so I do not have a lot of experience with lager yeast. Any help would be great.

photo.jpg

Back