Should I pitch all of this or decant? Harvested yeast pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I harvested/washed this yeast on Friday night out of a wheat beer I made... it is WLP-300. Anyway, I am going to use it this evening in a Dunkelweizen I'm brewing now (Sunday afternoon/evening). Judging by this picture and the time since I harvested it; would you reccomend pitching all of it or decanting the liquid off the top? It has been in the refridgerator since Friday and I took it out today about 1/2 hour ago (2:30pm). I plan on pitching it around 7pm.

Thanks!

yeast.jpg

I harvested/washed this yeast on Friday night out of a wheat beer I made... it is WLP-300. Anyway, I am going to use it this evening in a Dunkelweizen I'm brewing now (Sunday afternoon/evening). Judging by this picture and the time since I harvested it; would you reccomend pitching all of it or decanting the liquid off the top? It has been in the refridgerator since Friday and I took it out today about 1/2 hour ago (2:30pm). I plan on pitching it around 7pm.

Thanks!

That's a lot of yeast! Good job. I would definitely decant.

There is still a lot of yeast in suspension. I'd pitch the whole thing. It doesn't look like there is that much liquid anyway, at least in the picture!

Thank you Reelale and Yooper... even though you both told me to do opposite things. My guess is I can flip a coin on this one? This was my first time washing/harvesting yeast and I'm pretty happy with how it came out. There is about 2 1/2 cups a water/yeast in that picture... I'm beginning to wonder if it should shake it up and only pitch part of it?

And there you have it. Two diametrically opposed answers. I defer to Yooper. But that is still a lot of yeast.

I'll post a third opinion...

Yes, Reel is right - that's a lot of yeast
Yes, Yooper is right - there's a lot of yeast in suspension

So, since there's already a lot of yeast that's dropped, and even though there's still yeast in suspension; you could either 1) pitch the whole thing, or 2) decant and pitch the cake.

Does that help? :D

Pour off half the liquid.

also taste it and decide if you want that in your beer.

Pour off half the liquid.

also taste it and decide if you want that in your beer.

I read that WLP300 works nicely in Dunkelweizens and since I really wanted the experience of washing/reusing yeast I decided this was the way to go without brewing 2 back-to-back wheats.

samc, do you think there is a problem with using this yeast in a Dunkel?

Thank you too AZ...

Well, obviously it really doesn't matter much! There's a lot of yeast. :D

But here was my thinking- it's a dunkelweizen and wlp300. That's a low flocculating strain, which means that much of the yeast stays in suspension. So, it's mostly the most flocculant yeast that are on the bottom. You probably want both- the early flocculators (is that a word?) and the late flocculators/non-flocculators.

But other than overthinking it, which I tend to do, I honestly think it really doesn't matter all that much.

I read that WLP300 works nicely in Dunkelweizens and since I really wanted the experience of washing/reusing yeast I decided this was the way to go without brewing 2 back-to-back wheats.

samc, do you think there is a problem with using this yeast in a Dunkel?

Thank you too AZ...

I think what Samc is saying is that the spent wort is probably watered down/oxidized/not good, not that the yeast strain isn't good in a dunkelweizen.

I think what Samc is saying is that the spent wort is probably watered down/oxidized/not good, not that the yeast strain isn't good in a dunkelweizen.

Exactly - sometimes the starter wort tastes like crap and decanting is ideal, other times it tastes pretty good and pitching it is fine. I usually just decant all my starters after 3-4 days in the fridge, leaving only 1/2 cup of wort to mix it up with.

That isn't really wort, it is just the water that I washed the yeast with on Friday. I used a bit too much water but kept all of it anyway. I am not making/using a starter because I just harvested the yeast less than 2 days ago :)

Thanks again!

I plan on trying to wash and reuse my white labs California ale yeast for my next batch. I feel like a sap paying 8 bucks for a vile. That's almost half my cost for a 2.5 gallon batch and I had just poured some down the drain last time.

I plan on trying to wash and reuse my white labs California ale yeast for my next batch. I feel like a sap paying 8 bucks for a vile. That's almost half my cost for a 2.5 gallon batch and I had just poured some down the drain last time.

This was my first time and it was so much easier than I expected it to be. I can't believe how much yeast I have wasted in the couple years that I have been brewing.

Back