Should I make a year old White House Honey Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I ordered the white house porter last october, and then accidentally sat on the kit for a whopping 8 months. Now I am getting back into the brew swing of things, and am wondering if I should brew it. Here are some facts:

1. I ordered it from More Beer, so Im guessing the malt that I got was at least somewhat fresh eight months ago
2. It contains crushed grains that are vacuum sealed
3. I dont get a ton of opportunities to brew, so while Im not against experimenting, if the chances the kit is going to taste bad are high enough, Id rather not take the time to brew it

I also have an all grain kit that I neglected. Im wondering if I should just find someone in my area who does have time to experiment with both of them.

Any ideas what my chances for a delicious brew are with a kit this old?

Where was the kit stored and an estimate of temp? I'm assuming the hops and yeast were left in the box?

Get some new yeast and brew it up! It probably won't be great, but I bet it won't be bad. Same for the AG kit.

Hell! I'd brew it and drink it with a smile.

I'd also get some new yeast and give it a go. It might not be as good as fresh, but I'd bet it would be worth drinking. At this point, what do you really have to lose?

The hops were stored in the freezer, and I skipped ordering the yeast since I was just going to buy liquid yeast locally. The grains, etc, were stored in a closet in our home, ie, mostly ~68 degrees.

The hops were stored in the freezer, and I skipped ordering the yeast since I was just going to buy liquid yeast locally. The grains, etc, were stored in a closet in our home, ie, mostly ~68 degrees.

Everything sounds good then. Brew away and enjoy a great beer!!!

Agreed.. Change yeast and brew away.. I had a a year old coopers dark ale changed yeast and have been amazed at the turn out..

Back