should I dump my brew.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETOHonboard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone on here waited over a year then dumped a batch? I have a tripel that has been bottled for a year and a month and it has only gotten a little better. Has anyone had luck waiting just a little longer or should I just suck it up and dump it?
A very sad subject I know, but I sure appreciate any help.

Is it 'bad'? Or, is it just something you aren't a fan of. If the later is the case, I would probably find friends that dig that style and give it away!

It seems like a waste if it isn't actually royally screwed up...

I isn't infected or anything, it just tastes like crap. It was my third or fourth batch I ever brewed and was told by people on here that the recipe seems wrong with adding a pound of table sugar to it in the boil. Just curious is all, I don't need the bottles any time soon so maybe I will give it longer. It is imroving, just very slowly. Thanks guys!

A pound of table sugar is fine for a Tripel. Most recipes call for 10-20% of the fermentables as sugar.

Maybe you just don't like the style.

I have tried and loved belgian tripels. it has a strong alcohol taste that may settle down.
hey Beergolf, heres the recipe. let me know what you think.
6lbs. briess light lme
14oz. pale malt
2.5lbs cane sugar (15mins.)
1 lb of munich malt
2 oz victory malt
.25 oz.coriander (2mins.)
.5 oz target hops (60 mins.)
.25 oz. liberty hops (15mins.)
.5 oz saaz hops (0mins.)
white labs wlp500 (trappist ale) yeast
thanks

o.k. so all this talk about the tripel, I had to try it again. The last time I tried it was about a month and a half or two months ago. I tried it again and you guys are right it does taste fine. it is absolutely amazing what a month or two will do for your beer even after a year:ban::D
Thanks for helping lift my spirits

Good.

To keep the alcohol taste in check. Pitch the yeast at the low end of the recommended range ( or even slightly under) I like to pitch in the low 60's and then let it slowly ramp up and even get it pretty warm to finish. Then don 't be in a rush. Belgians do take time.

They are not the brew for those that are impatient.

Latest posts

Back