Should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerRef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So first year grower here - located in western NY. I recieved my hops a few weeks ago, so I started them in pots in my basement to avoid prolonged time in the fridge. I have 3 types
Cascade
Centennial
Hallertau

both the Cascade, Centennial both have popped and I have some almost foot high already! ( hopefully the weather cooperates this week and I can get them outside and planted)

The Hallertau have not popped at all yet! all 3 pots are sitting next to each other, have recieved the same treatment, same light, same water etc etc... should I be worried they are duds? or do some types just take that much longer than others?

How long ago were they planted? Did your Hallertau have white buds or eyes when you planted them? I'd give them some time. My first year I had 3 of 4 grow.

I planted them approx 3 weeks ago ( honestly cannot remember exactly) but at least 2 maybe 3.

None of them had any white buds or eyes. All 3 types looked just like roots, as expected from what i have read. Each pot has a few rhizomes of each type, if it was just one rhizome in the pot I could understand, but it seems odd that everything else grew but that one, as I said unless Hall is just a longer developer normally?

Some rhizomes just may not be viable. Might as well give it some time and see. Probably not too late to find another rhizome at your local homebrew store in case.

I am also growing hops for the first time this year and had similar result.

Planted cascade, chinook and centennial on the same day in same soil (pots) and have been treating them the same. The chinook and cascade both had one vine pop up within a day of each other. The centennial showed nothing until almost a week later, when I got 2 just popping thru the soil. The other two were 3-4 inches tall.

Based on my one data point, I'd say RDWHAHB.

I got Columbus, Cascade and Newport...the Cascade and Columbus popped up w ithin a few days, the Newports first bine just hit the surface today nearly 2 weeks later.

Just give it time.

alright its been a few weeks, and I dont know what I am doing wrong, but it appears something...

recap - I recieved 6 rhizomes in the mail from a reputable dealer on this site. Everything looked good. [ actually it ended up being more like 8-10 rhizomes in the package ] they were in the fridge in the shipping box for about a week or 2, then I planted them in pots in my basement for about 3 weeks in which 2 varities started to pop and grew approx 1-2 foot bines with a few leaves. I then moved them outside ( in the pots) for about a week. During this time - the last week in the basement, and first week outside the bines that had grown seemed to almost be dieing... the ends started to brown... I then transplanted them to their final location in the front of my house with twine already mounted up my chimany to grow on.

through the entire process I made sure to water them enough, according to advice I saw here. I currently have 2 bines of Cascade that seem to sort of be growing... 1 bine(Centennial ) thats still alive by appearance but hasnt done much, and none of the 3 rhizomes of Hallertau ever popped at all, but have also been moved to the front final bed...

did I do something wrong here? This is my first attempt at growing hops, but not my first try at growing plants, I have been growing veggies for years!

I am located in western NY if that makes a difference to advice.

also is it too late to buy new rhizomes and plant them for this year at this point?

thanks!

hops pic 1.jpg

hops pic 2.jpg

It's not too late to still plant this year if you can find them.

I'm sure you're well aware that plants going from indoor growing to outdoor growing will take a hit if not properly hardened off - they're just not acclimated to the new environment and transpirate too quickly (which can cause shriveling). This may be why your plants began to brown, especially if they were taken from light ambient light into lots of direct sunlight.

Another possibility is too much water. Hops like water but hate wet feet (i.e. too wet soil, soggy soil) - they'll rot. If the soil they've been sitting in is awfully wet then it's probably too much water.

As for the Hallertau, when you transplanted them from pot to ground were you able to inspect the rhizome? Or did you make a pot-sized hole and move the entire contents over? I'm just wondering if you noticed any underground growth on the rhizome when you transplanted.

As for the ones that seem to "hanging in there," I'd let them ride. Don't overwater them and don't feed them - they might just be going through a shock period from the transplanting. At some point they should start putting up some bines though. I'd say if you get at least 1 foot bines in the first year they should come back next year, but you're hoping for 6 foot bines or better. I have a Golding planted that made two very small 1' bines the first year; grew to about 8-9' all last year with about 50 cones; and is up to 6' already this year so I'm expecting a full 18-25' plant this year.

Back