Should I Adjust Priming Sugar With AllInOne Vacuum pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethebrew

Reaction score
I purchased an AllInOne Vacuum pump today. Asked Steve, but he didn't know.

If you use the pump to rack from primary into a bottling carboy, that first carboy gets degassed to some extent. Then when you rack from the bottling carboy into bottles, it will get degassed some more.

Considering you take into account residual CO2 when figuring how much priming sugar to use, will I have to add more priming sugar when using the degassed bottled beer to make up for the degassing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try to prime without adjusting for time spent under a vaccum, then see if you get negligible effects.
To further improve your chances of minimizing effects I would not make the pump draw from a low carboy into a high carboy as demonstrated shortly in the video. This would require more vaccuum for longer and probably would effect the overall dissolved CO2 noticably.
Finally if my suspicions are correct you could use this to start the siphon then allow gravity to naturally move the beer, this will greatly reduce time spent at lower pressure.

If the carboys are both on the ground, I don't think it matters much as to gravity. You will get a positive effect until both are half full, then you still need to lift from there.

Degassing could be a positive effect. I would think having yeast being able to do more fermenting in the bottle due to more bottling sugar would be a plus. And, removal of oxygen prior to bottling a real plus. The only thing that concerns me is will the yeast need any oxygen to get going in the bottle? The pump combined with OxyCaps has me wondering.

Yeast should be fine, I believe the oxygen is key to replication/growth, they should be able to carbonate no problem.
Also the machine does not evacuate the bottle, it pulls a slight vaccuum to move the liquid, you will still have air and O2 in the bottles.

I never adjust my priming sugar by attempting to guestimate residual co2, so my answer would be "no".

I always use .75 ounce corn sugar per gallon for less-carbed styles, and 1 ounce corn sugar per gallon for nicely carbed styles. That's all I ever do, and it's worked great.

Guestimating residual c02 levels would be incredibly difficult anyway, so I just assume almost none (which is probably about right) anyway.

Yeast should be fine, I believe the oxygen is key to replication/growth, they should be able to carbonate no problem.
Also the machine does not evacuate the bottle, it pulls a slight vaccuum to move the liquid, you will still have air and O2 in the bottles.

True, it's not really pulling the air out of the bottle enough to remove all the oxygen.

Latest posts

Back