Should i add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxpx5678

Reaction score
Pitched yeast last night. It is a 5 gallon full boil IPA, OG of 1.062. It has been 18 hours and I am not seeing any activity yet.

What are some things I can do? Should I pitch more yeast? Is the beer ruined? Do I just need to wait?

Pitched yeast last night. It is a 5 gallon full boil IPA, OG of 1.062. It has been 18 hours and I am not seeing any activity yet.

What are some things I can do? Should I pitch more yeast? Is the beer ruined? Do I just need to wait?

What did you pitch? How did you aerate? Temp?

Whoa! Slow your role... There are a few things to consider here before jumping to adding more yeast. What was your process post boil? Did you use a yeast starter? What yeast did you use? Is your equipment set up properly? Let's start there and work our way forward...

dbreienrk1 said:
Whoa! Slow your role... There are a few things to consider here before jumping to adding more yeast. What was your process post boil? Did you use a yeast starter? What yeast did you use? Is your equipment set up properly? Let's start there and work our way forward...

Cooled in ice bath took about 45 mins. No yeast starter. It was wyeast 1968. Followed same process as I did last time and fermentation happened fine then. I didn't oxygenate a ton but did and I added almost frozen water to get the temp down more and the volume up to 5 gallons.

I am using a fermenting bucket with S airlock. I am fully aware that I might just need to wait longer for the yeast to start too. I have heard the higher OG can make it take longer.

I not really at the point where I am going to add more. Kind of just thinking about why it would be taking longer.

18 hours? Relax. Note the forum sticky that reminds you that fermentation signs can take 72 hours to appear.

homebrewdad said:
18 hours? Relax. Note the forum sticky that reminds you that fermentation signs can take 72 hours to appear.

I know. I even read that earlier. Haha. I just got spoiled with my first brew going so well.

Well, aeration could be the issue. Was the yeast viable (ie, did the smack pack swell)? I'm not a yeast guru, but I think I have read that 1968 is somewhat of a difficult strain. I'd give it another 24 hours and reevaluate. The only true way to know if fermentation is occurring is by gravity readings. There is the possibility that your equipment is malfunctioning and you cant "see" signs of fermentation.

A few things to consider next time...
- Make a starter...a yeast starter is a money maker for fast fermentation and avoiding stalled fermentation.
- Aerate the hell out of your wort...by any means. I pour the *hit out of my wort many times between brew kettle and bucket.

dbreienrk1 said:
Well, aeration could be the issue. Was the yeast viable (ie, did the smack pack swell)? I'm not a yeast guru, but I think I have read that 1968 is somewhat of a difficult strain. I'd give it another 24 hours and reevaluate. The only true way to know if fermentation is occurring is by gravity readings. There is the possibility that your equipment is malfunctioning and you cant "see" signs of fermentation.

- Make a starter...a yeast starter is a money maker for fast fermentation and avoiding stalled fermentation.
- Aerate the hell out of your wort...by any means. I pour the *hit out of my wort many times between brew kettle and bucket.

Pack was fully swelled. Oxygen might be the issue. I will give it more time.

dbreienrk1 said:

Also saw other people on here saying the 1968 can be a slow starting strain.

If you didn't aerate well and visible fermentation hasn't started yet - aerate it now. Remove the airlock and slosh that baby. You're not going to run an oxidation risk yet, and the yeast NEED oxygen to work.

Aeration isn't optional.

Odds are that you are still fine, but you might as well do all that you can without going nutso.

homebrewdad said:
If you didn't aerate well and visible fermentation hasn't started yet - aerate it now. Remove the airlock and slosh that baby. You're not going to run an oxidation risk yet, and the yeast NEED oxygen to work.

Aeration isn't optional.

Odds are that you are still fine, but you might as well do all that you can without going nutso.

Ok followed your advice and Good news. I have fermentation activity this morning. And a nice layer of krausen on top now too.

Latest posts

Back