Short's Brewing: Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOH

Reaction score
I'm curious about other forum users opinions on Short's Brewing. I only get to drink their beers when visiting the in-laws in Michigan every couple of years, so I have a fairly narrow view. With the constant experimentation, they are pretty much big boy homebrewers, but sometimes...

Huma-lupa-licious is a great IPA, and I really enjoy Soft Parade in the heat, but everything else I've had from them seems pretty off the mark. Either infected or just wrong. Most recently Good Samaritan, an amber ale with apple cider. Earthy as hell. Brown malt and fuggles in a fruit beer? Did they even do a test batch?

What do you guys think?

Never seen them out here. If all of their beers are off to you then maybe it has something to do with their water that you do not enjoy?

For future reference, there is a commercial brew forum farther down the page where this may be more appropriate.

Every time I go back up to Michigan, I bring some down with me. the Local's Light is a good one, as is the Good Humans. I also like Pandemonium and Soft Parade.

EDIT: almost forgot about the Plum Rye Bock, Bellaire Brown, The Magician, Nicie Spicie, and their Irish Ale (can't remember or find the name at the moment)....I didn't realize how much of their beer I've tried!

@ H-ost, Short's Brewing Company only sells their beers in Michigan, unfortunately.

We went to the brewpub in Bellaire two weeks ago. All the beers were good although the sampler of the Strawberry Short Cake was more than enough for me. The ControversiAle was great and I ended up buying a sixer. But they sure are in the middle of nowhere.

My daughter and I stopped in on the way to the UP this summer and I understand what you are saying. They brew an wide variety of different funky things and it's no surprise that some are not going to be up your alley, so to speak. I had a sampler of lighter beers and some were excellent, some were just ok, and one or two I barely choked down.

They have a few beers I love, like Huma and a stout and brown. I dislike the soft parade. I have a bottle of shortcake in the fridge but I'm afraid to try it. I bought it for the wife to try and she hasn't yet. Might try it together tonight and see what it's like.

I like their taproom area. There are a TON more beer on tap than they sell in the stores. Lots of strange things. I appreciate the experimentation, but I don't always enjoy the results.

Latest posts

Back