Shipping Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branman

Reaction score
Ok, I was trying to ship a few growlers to a friend of mine in Tucson from Ms. Ups (preferred) and FedEx when I told them fragile and liquid asked what it was. So I told them beer, and they said they don't ship alcohol. Is it some kind of law or something? I've read about plenty of people shipping beer on this forum, so my question is how are you shipping it?

just pack it tight and don't tell them what it is, or just say its a gift, or yeast samples. I've used all those just fine. if you tell them its alcohol they won't ship it.

Secure the lids on those growlers! I usually wrap painters tape around growler lids a few times.

I trade beer quite a bit. What I do is wrap each item in bubblewrap, usually at least enough to go around it twice. Use rubberbands to hold it on. Then put each item in a ziplock. Put some Styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of the box and then a sheet or two of bubble wrap. Then put a big trash bag in the box to help contain leaks if they happen. Then put the items in and fill it with Styrofoam peanuts and bubblewrap. Then fill in the area between the trash bag and the box on all sides. Pack it so nothing moves. Ideally you have at least 2 inches on all sides of just packing material.

If you have enough packing material to provide protection on all sides and to keep things from shifting around, you should be fine.

Ship with FedEx or UPS. Don't even try to ship with the US Postal Service. Don't tell them what it is and you should be fine. I've never been asked.

If you have a FedEx or UPS account, you can create a label online, print it, and tape it to the box. Then all you have to do is drop it off.

Thick layer of packing paper and bubble wrap on all sides, large size bubble wrap around bottles and securedwithrubber bands (for easy reuse), thick bubble wrap between bottles and be sure you can hold it chest high and drop it to the floor on any side with no problem.
Ups or FedEx. I tell them it's fine glassware or liquid yeast samples, neither of which is far from the truth

Yes it is a law or something. You're not licensed to distribute alcohol. Like the others say, pack it and don't tell them what it is. Don't even bother telling them it is liquid. Just be sure to pack everything so it won't break but in case it does, be sure the liquid can be contained.

Ah, yes, I'd like to ship a package...

thQ0LV0I2B.jpg

yeah thats what I did, Shipped about a case of my beers to a fellow HBT member. IWhats weird though is I used an old FedEx box that I got when I bought some hard to find beers online. When I originally got the package, ti said very clearly there was alcohol in it and someone over 21 must sign for it...

Thanks for the help guys, ill try again when I get some bubble wrap... btw, stupid rule!

I ship USPS (even though I know its wrong) because it is the only service port in my small town. I slap Fragile and Glass stickers all over it too. If I ever get asked "what's in the box" all I would say is "I sell on ebay. Junk."

USPS is rough on the boxes though...

Fedex is prob your safest bet in terms of freight quality. Just pack it, keep a straight face, and send it along.

I ship USPS (even though I know its wrong) because it is the only service port in my small town. I slap Fragile and Glass stickers all over it too. If I ever get asked "what's in the box" all I would say is "I sell on ebay. Junk."

USPS is rough on the boxes though...

Fedex is prob your safest bet in terms of freight quality. Just pack it, keep a straight face, and send it along.

I think it should be legal to ship beer between home brewers. And have no problem with people (that home brew) doing it.
I was just trying to put a funny twist to the thread. :mug:

Latest posts

Back