Shiner Wild Hare Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKERBEER

Reaction score
I am trying to make a clone of Shiner's Wild Hare Pale ale and on Shiner's website, they tell you that its 2-row with munich and caramel malts and use Bravo and Golding (US) hops (ABV-5.5% and IBU-32). I plan to mess around on beersmith to try to get to these parameters but does anyone have any suggestions for the grain percentages and/or the hop schedule/quantities to use for a 5 gal batch?

I would start by taking a bottling, decarbing it by letting it sit all night and shaking it, get your FG then find the ABV and work backward.

Don't bother trying to write Shiner, they have no mailing address listed at all, and if you e-mail them they won't help you either. I've been involved in a lengthy thread trying to clone the Ruby Redbird.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the idea. I found the FG to be 1.016 so for a 5.5% ABV beer should have a OG of about 1.058. I'm still trying to find the right conditions through beersmith to hit these numbers.

There's no need to waste a whole bottle on decarbing it. Just fill your hydrometer tube with beer, and let it sit overnight, or put it into a mason jar with lid and shake it a few times over an hour time until all CO2 has come out. Each time open the lid to let it air out. Now you have a good half bottle of beer left where you can let your taste buds do some testing. That said, I find decarbed beer at room temp easier to deconstuct.

Did you do a Google search? Maybe someone has tried it already giving you a starting point. BrewToad is full of "clone," and sadly, not so clone recipes. Use common sense to pick out the better ones.

To start cloning, I would make small, say five to ten 1 or 2 gallon batches with variations of malt and/or hops. You can brew them back to back. You could mash the 2 row separately from the Munich, and steep the crystals. Then mix the basic malt liquors at whatever proportions you want to try. Keep accurate notes on gravities, volumes used, etc.

Now an FG of 1.016 is pretty high for a 5.5% 32 IBU IPA. It maybe filled with dextrins.

No one has really done a clone, there is one partial on brew toad but no AG.

Thats a good idea with the small batches but I will probably just run a 5 gal at first and go from there.

Yes, I also thought that 1.016 was high and I have waited another day with the decarbed beer but it still reads 1.016. You might be right with the dextrins, I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for your input!

11lbs 2-row
.5lb crystal 40
.5lb light munich malt

1oz bravo @ boil
.5oz goldings @ 10min

This should put you at about 35IBU with an OG of 1.056 and a FG of 1.014 for around 5.5%, by my calculations.

As for the yeast, you might try Wyeast 1007, german ale. From what i've been told all of the yeasts that Shiner uses are german strains pretty much.

Just my .02

Hmm never really thought about the german ale yeast, I was just planning on using california ale yeast but it definitely makes sense to me to use the german ale yeast, will prob use WLP003.

It seems to get that high FG I need to do a 'full body mash'. Seems strange for a APA but I will have to keep playing with the calculations and such, thanks for the advise!

Back