shelf life of dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should get some new yeast for a batch I'm about to brew. I was given a home brew kit back in june with an irish stout recipe inside. I didn't want to brew that one until I had a few under my belt and it was a bit colder outside.

Was going to brew tonight and I noticed the yeast pack has a comment saying to store between 41-50 degrees F. It's dry yeast and the expiration date on back says good until july 2014. It sat inside my office, in the box, out of the sun since I got it. The temp in this room never really gets above 72.

Any issues with using this yeast since it's sat non-refrigerated this long? Should I just order some more to be on the safe side? Not a lot of options for home brew places around me, so I'd just have to order from web.

I think you'll be fine, since it doesn't sound like the yeast hit any extremes. Rehydrate it and you'll be able to see weather or not it's active at that point. Personally, I always find it valuable to have an extra packet of yeast on hand though. So, I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy another packet, just in case this one doesn't kick in within 3 days.

Back