shared a few bottles on Thanksgiving.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekoob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was invited over for Thanksgiving and the wife said I should take some of the five gallons (one gallon batches) with us.

I used a 1L flip top and a couple .5L flip tops to take an apple cider, blackberry, and cherry along with a few large (3L I think) bottles of a German Dunkel.

All were a big hit but the blackberry was the star of the show.

it was a one gallon (really just shy of a gallon) batch with 2 cups of sugar added and fermented with EC-1118.

I was asked to bring some for the Christmas gathering too.

Although I'm still experimenting with this cider stuff I have to say thank you to everyone who has posted for all the information and answers to all the questions I had along the way.

Looking forward to mixing up a few more batches for the holiday season.

Nostrovia!

EC-1118 is a monster. It will ferment out your cider with no problem but it is very aggressive and may blow off (and certainly will not enhance) any nuanced aromas or flavors you would find in high quality apple juice pressed from cider apples. There are many, many other wine yeasts that will bring out the flavors and add complex flavors and some yeasts are particularly good dealing with higher proportions of malic acid in the juice... If you are interested in experimenting with cider I would use the same base juice and pitch different yeasts...

I bottled Wed. 5 gal. of a blueberry apple cider I started last Jan. with Notty yeast.

Most in 12 oz. bottles with priming sugar. I was short on bottles so 1/2 gal. went into a growler that I took for Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws. It went over very well.

I used to use 1118 with my fruit added ciders but it left them with very little flavor or aroma. I switch to English Ale yeast such as Nottingham or S-04 and have been happy.

This year I found a new yeast - Cider House Select Premium Cider Yeast. I'm happy so far but I have no finished, aged and bottled to taste yet.

Latest posts

Back