SG 1.050 3 weeks later 1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTB

Reaction score
So, i transferred my pale ale to to secondary before taking a gravity reading (I know). it was in primary for 3 weeks. Took a gravity reading after transferring and it is at 1.030.

I didn't make a starter (I know).

Given these facts, can I make a starter and add yeast to secondary to get the gravity down more? What risks do I run?

Lecture not needed... ;-) Yes, you could make a starter and add yeast to the secondary...in effect making it a primary. I would add the starter when it is VERY ACTIVELY fermenting. But there is no guarantee it will bring your SG down. The only real risk is infection, but you should be fine practicing appropriate sanitation.

x2 on BigB's recommendation of creating a starter (1L is fine) and pitching it at high krausen (after about 18 hours). no risks if everything is sanitary. your beer will probably have some off flavors from the stress experienced by the first yeast.

Back