Setup for a SYL-2352

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KEG99

Reaction score
My apologies in advance, but I have searched every post I can find and still can't figure out all the settings on my SYL-2352.

I have two tanks - HLT and Boil Kettle. Simple set up - no HERMS, no RIMS. I want to heat the HLT to a set temp with the PID. Then, after mashing, I flip a switch to send power to the boil kettle to boil the wort. For boiling, I switch to manual, run at 100% and drop to 80% to keep a rolling boil.

Don't need any help with wiring. It has an SSR and uses a Pt100 RTD sensor for the HLT. No alarms. Nothing else is needed.

My question is, what should I set all of the 26 different settings. Some I can figure out. Others are just totally confusing.

Here is the list of settings. I have four columns (separated by comas). It is the "Suggested Setting" that I need help with. "?" means I have no clue.

They are:
Code, Description, Suggested Setting, Remarks

ALM1, High alarm, ? [no alarm], Turns on the alarm is the temp gets too high.
ALM2, Low alarm, ? [no alarm], Turns on the alarm is the temp gets too low.
Hy-1, Deviation from high alarm, 1, Allows the reading to extend this many degrees above the “Dead Band” (see Hy) before the alarm goes off.
Hy-2, Deviation from low alarm, 1, Allows the reading to extend this many degrees below the “Dead Band” (see Hy) before the alarm goes off.
Hy, Dead Band, 2, This prevents switching and alarms due to minor changes in temperature. Gives the system 'room' to respond.
At, Autotune, 3, This 'tunes' the system. Set to 1 or 2 to begin the autotune.
P, Proportional constant, ? , Affects system reaction time.
I, Integral time, ? , Slows the action of the system if there are frequent temperature changes.
d, Derivative time, ? , Sets how fast the system responds.
t, Cycle time, 20 (seconds), Sets the on/off time for the heater element. On and then off for, say, 20 seconds.
Sn, Input type, 21, set to match your sensor: 0-37 ; see chart in manual. 21 for a PT100 RTD
dP, Decimal point position, 0, Shows temp in units. If set to 1, shows in tenths of a degree.
P-SL, Low limit, 100, Safety feature. Prevents setting temp too low.
P-SH, High limit, 212, Safety feature. Prevents setting temp too high.
Pb, Input offset, 0, Use if your sensor is not accurate. Lets you add/delete from reading.
OP-A, Output mode, [skip], Ignore
OUTL, Output low limit, 20, Min. % power going to heater element.
OUTH, Output high limit , 100, Max. % power going to heater element.
AL-P, Alarm output define, 1, Selects which parameter triggers the alarm.
COOL, System function, 10, Heating, alarms are suppressed, temp in Fahrenheit. (8 = Heating, no alarm suppression, Fahrenheit)
Addr, Communication address, [skip], Ignore
bAud, Baud rate, [skip], Ignore
FILt, PV input filter, 0, Use if you get 'noise' on your system. Probably not a problem so turn off..
A-M, Auto/Manual status, 1, 1 lets the PID control the system. 0 lets the user adjust the output percentage.
LocK, Configuration privileges, 808, 808 leaves everything unlocked.
EP1-EP8, Field parameters, [skip], Use this for advanced/custom settings.

Sounds like you have about the exact same set up as I do. I just went through this a couple weeks ago. I left all of the settings as is except:
-Sn, set up for your RTD
-Set the autotune to 2 then ran it. I had roughly how much water I'd have in my HLT with the pump circulating (my personal set up)
I checked the temp of the water after it got done against 2 thermometers and it was about prefect. Had it been off, I believe there is a setting where you can adjust the PID

jeffmeh, Thanks for the tip on the Electric Brewery. That is a pretty good plain-English explanation.

wisconsinitebrewer, thanks for mentioning that you left the other settings as is.

KEG99, I'm a brewer in STL that uses those PID's. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Paul

No problem at all KEG.
If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. I'm by no means an expert but experimenting and just sharing what's worked for me so far

Paul,

We might know each other. I'm a member of the St. Louis Brews and was the Brewmeister for a few years back. I'm out in west county (Clarkson & Manchester).

Kim Gardner
[email protected]

Indeed, we know each other. You took over as Brewmeister after Chris Rahn and spent a lot of time in the kitchen of St Elizabeth's - as I recall.

Back