Session Saison for the summer ~4%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeerman

Reaction score
I am trying to come up with a Session Saison for the summer lawnmower season. Looking for a dry crisp beer with some flavor. Really need advice on hops and hop pairings for this. Belma sounds pretty interesting to me for a saision. I will probably go with 3711 yeast after washing it from my run of Cottage House Saison.

Beersmith has this at about 1.036 with an IBU/SG at .381

12# Pale 2 row
2# Vienna
1# Flaked Wheat

1oz. Saaz 60 Minutes
1oz.Belma 10 Minutes

Mash around 152 for an hour 5 gallons water

Batch sparge 5 gallons x 2 steps

End up around 13 gallons in kettle

Any advice would be great. I was also thinking of adding some rye to the grain bill. More? less? replace Vienna? Really not sure.

Thanks!

:mug:

Last edited:
I recently brewed a saison with a German Hallertauer \ Czech Saaz combo... ultimately my real goal was to use Hallertauer \ Vanguard, but my LHBS didnt have it :(

The hops im my opinion should compliment or contribute to the flavor profile of the yeast. In my case.. I went with a more earthy spicy yeast (White Labs WLP565), so I wanted my hops to deliver earth/pepper notes.

I think 3711 has some citrus notes in there, so perhaps Pearle / Saaz? I personally like a touch of tradition.. and would want at least one Noble hop.

Heres the schedule I followed for my Saison.
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 oz Saaz (Czech) [4.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 3 7.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 8.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Saaz (Czech) [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 3.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 3.2 IBUs
Steeped Hops
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.25 oz Saaz (Czech) [4.00 %] - Aroma Steep 2.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Aroma Steep 2.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Total IBU for me was on the low end of the style.. around 23 IBU.

I have a nice Belma/Strisselspalt session saison. I've considered using Belma by itself, but just haven't gotten there yet. 3711 is my go-to saison yeast, though Belle Saison is nice in this recipe as well. The Brett B in WLP-670 American Farmhouse might be interesting here.

6-gallon batch, 85% efficiency

5.5 lb Maris Otter
2 oz Acid Malt (for pH)

.25 oz Belma (12.1% AA) - FWH
1 oz Strisselspalt (2.1% AA) - 20 min
.25 oz Belma - 5 min (I originally had this as a 20 min. Up to you.)
1 oz Strisselspalt - Dry hop (5 days before bottling)
1 oz Belma - Dry hop (5 days before bottling)

Wyeast 3711

Mash: 155 for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 for 15 min
Boil: 60 min

Belma Session Saison

I'd recommend oats instead of wheat...num,num,num...and its traditional too. Go for 20% in a small beer.

Cheers!

Just be aware that you won't get a ton of saison-like esters in a low gravity beer. There will be some yeast character but ime they come out much cleaner... But that adds to the easy drinking feel.

Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with Saaz and EKG for now. Once I taste it I can always change it up next time. I'll probably stick with that grainbill too.

THANKS.

:mug:

Tagz is right, but you can and I would ferment warmer to promote more ester production.

I am thinking starting around 68 and going up into the mid to high 70s for fermentation. I figure that should help with the funky stuff.

I'd definitely go warmer...72F-82F

68 is not warm in general for a Saison. Especially for small beers that'll attenuate 70% in the first 36 hours, consider starting warmer. first

I'd definitely go warmer...72F-82F

68 is not warm in general for a Saison. Especially for small beers that'll attenuate 70% in the first 36 hours, consider starting warmer. first

OK thank you. I will take that advice.

warmer may definitely be better.. but dont be afraid of the lower temps if thats the environment you have to work with. Just moved my saison to secondary last night..

I used a wallonia strain, it was slow to start (probably temp related), and it spent about 3 weeks in the primary around 65-70F (my new england home is cold during the winters.. thats the warmest it gets)... its at 75% attenuation and still has some activity to go in secondary. The strain is notorious for falling asleep in the middle of fermentation, and waking up a couple weeks later.. i expected this since im colder than the comfortable temp range.

The sample tasted amazing.. zesty earthy peppery.. no citrus taste.. true to the strains profile.. it will probably go a couple more points before bottling.. should make it dry as well..

IMO, youll get the funk your looking for if you cant make the warmer temps.. it might just take a bit more time :)

I have a nice Belma/Strisselspalt session saison. I've considered using Belma by itself, but just haven't gotten there yet. 3711 is my go-to saison yeast, though Belle Saison is nice in this recipe as well. The Brett B in WLP-670 American Farmhouse might be interesting here.

6-gallon batch, 85% efficiency

5.5 lb Maris Otter
2 oz Acid Malt (for pH)

.25 oz Belma (12.1% AA) - FWH
1 oz Strisselspalt (2.1% AA) - 20 min
.25 oz Belma - 5 min (I originally had this as a 20 min. Up to you.)
1 oz Strisselspalt - Dry hop (5 days before bottling)
1 oz Belma - Dry hop (5 days before bottling)

Wyeast 3711

Mash: 155 for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 for 15 min
Boil: 60 min

Belma Session Saison

Have you used this grain bill in a saison yet? I'm considering brewing something similar: 90% Maris Otter, 10% oats, 3711 yeast.

Have you used this grain bill in a saison yet? I'm considering brewing something similar: 90% Maris Otter, 10% oats, 3711 yeast.

Yup. I've brewed that recipe a few times. Occasionally I'll bump it up with a little Munich if I'm going with more pronounced hops, but the Belma and Strisselspalt are light enough that the extra toasty/nutty/malty flavors from the MO are still there. The acid malt was strictly for pH adjustment and didn't contribute any real flavor. Oats could make a nice contribution, especially toasted. The one thing I've noticed in my 3711 brews is that it'll dry the beer out (probably eat through concrete given the chance), but there's still a nice mouthfeel, even with a smaller brew. The oats will add to that, but it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back