seeking grain bill suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontdropthebeer

Reaction score
So I have some leftover hops that I want to use up and I am seeking suggestions for a grain bill.

I have:

1oz centennial
1oz cascade
1/2oz nugget
1/2oz hallertauer
and 1/2oz of something I honestly have no idea what it is.

I also have a packet of 05 yeast.

Im thinking some sort of APA or IPA, using the centennial and nugget as bittering and the cascade as an aroma.

I was playing around with recipes and have been working with pale malt as a base and maybe adding some munich and/or caramel 60 or something but am looking for some suggestions to make the most of the hops I have.

thanks!

Is this a 5 gallon batch? I don't think you'll be making an IPA unless you get more hops. For a basic pale ale with what you have you could do something like:

7 bls Pale Malt
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich (or Vienna)
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (or your choice)
0.50 oz Nugget 60 min
0.50 oz Centennial 20min
0.50 oz Centennial10 min
1.00 oz Cascade 0 min

Don't know the AA's of your hops but I'm getting 1.050 and 41 IBU's at 75% efficiency. A little centennial and/or cascade to dry hop would be nice too.

I have been doing an american pale thats loosely related to the Firestone pale 31 that turns out pretty nice

8.5 lbs 2 row pale
1lb Maris Otter pale
1.25lb Munich 10L
0.5 lbs Carapils
0.28 lbs Crystal 40

0.5 oz Nugget 60 mins
0.5 oz hallertauer 60 mins
0.5 oz cenntennial 15 mins
0.5 oz cascade 15 mins
0.5 oz cenntennial 0 mins
0.5 oz cascade 0 mins

comes out at 1056 and 32 IBU's

My recipe usually has 37 IBU's, Firestones pale 31 has 38 IBU's, I'm sure you could get to that if you moved additions earlier or used your mystery hops earlier but I'd keep the cascade/ cenntennial for late and 0 addition hops to get similar aroma flavor to pale 31.

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/pale-31

You 'have a feeling' that Sierra Nevada's yeast will be 'inoffensive' in an APA? You, my friend, win the award for HBT Understatement of 2013.

I have been doing an american pale thats loosely related to the Firestone pale 31 that turns out pretty nice

8.5 lbs 2 row pale
1lb Maris Otter pale
1.25lb Munich 10L
0.5 lbs Carapils
0.28 lbs Crystal 40

0.5 oz Nugget 60 mins
0.5 oz hallertauer 60 mins
0.5 oz cenntennial 15 mins
0.5 oz cascade 15 mins
0.5 oz cenntennial 0 mins
0.5 oz cascade 0 mins

comes out at 1056 and 32 IBU's

My recipe usually has 37 IBU's, Firestones pale 31 has 38 IBU's, I'm sure you could get to that if you moved additions earlier or used your mystery hops earlier but I'd keep the cascade/ cenntennial for late and 0 addition hops to get similar aroma flavor to pale 31.

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/pale-31
i would take this hop schedule and just put it under 11-12# of golden promise, two row, vienna or any other base malt along with a pinch of dextrin. do a 152/154 step mash to guarantee some dryness.

Back