Seeking Advice - Planning For Move Into Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I just bottled my 3rd batch and I’m mentally ready to move from bottling to kegging. My question here is to help me decide on a few things to get started in the right direction regarding kegging supplies and refrigeration.

I’m not sure how many separate taps I want/need to have going at the same time. Heck, I’ve only got 3 brews under my belt and I currently have beer from all 3. The first one my daughter and her boyfriend love and I can’t stand it. But it’s not all about me is it?!

I don’t want to get in over my head but I also don’t want to start on a system that won’t allow for me to grow.

For example, my initial thoughts have been to start with 1 keg that I chill and carb in a small, mini fridge (which allows me to start kegging) while I begin to purchase the materials I need for a larger keezer (i.e. 8.8 cu ft Kenmore chest freezer).

Here’s where my thoughts get scattered:

I don’t want to purchase the CO2 equipment for a 1 keg system only to find out 1-3 months later I can’t use it for my 3-5+ keg system.
I also don’t want to plan on a 3-5+ keg system only to find out I never need more than 3.

How should I go about figuring out what I need?

How can I get started with 1 (in preparation of my next batch this month) without wasting the purchases that can’t be upgraded?

I’m brewing 5 gallon batches and I don’t see that changing (i.e. 10 gallon batches) for the foreseeable future. Although I would say 10 gallon batches are in my future.

I hope I’m making some sense.

The equipment you're talking about here is basically just the regulator. Get a Taprite dual body reg and you'll be set for running 2 kegs @ two different pressures right off the bat. If you add a 3rd tap, you can just add a 2-line manifold to one of the regulator bodies. That would give you two lines at one pressure and a 3rd at another. Add a manifold to the other body and that will give you four lines at two pressures (two @ one pressure and two at another). If you find you'd rather maintain separate pressure control for the 3rd tap, you can just add another body to your existing regulator. These same steps apply for adding additional taps beyond the 3rd one. The sky's the limit really, but I'd strongly suggest you start with a dual body regulator and go with a quality brand like Taprite or Micromatic.

There's nothing different about having one keg vs. 4 or 5 or as many as you want. You only need 1 regulator but you need a regulator. I run 4 kegs off of 1 regulator and have for a year. They're all the same pressure which is fine with me. If you get more than 1 keg and you want more than 1 pressure get another regulator any time.

I would just buy one beer line for now with either a picnic or standard faucet. Get a 10 foot long line in case you make a kegerator.

Here's what you need:

1 co2 tank
1 regulator
1 beer line and connector
1 faucet
1 pin or ball lock keg
1 co2 line and connector

Welcome to the gravy train of kegging! :rockin:

some things to consider:

- it is typically cheaper to go with a bigger keezer up front than get a small one and replace it later
- you'll find a use for extra space in a keezer, even if not kegs. bottled beer, soda, etc.
- extra space in a keezer opens up the ability to lager
- properly carbonated and chilled kegs can stay fresh for over a year, no worries about having to pound a brew down in a couple weeks
- extra taps means space for club soda, root beer, wine, cider, etc. can be a nice selling point to convince haters. :)

I would do yourself a favor and buy like a bunch of kegs from the get-go. That way, you can have a pipeline going and use the kegs as almost a purged secondary to condition things in while you wait for a tap to open. I think a few sites have used 4packs, id go with that

I started with 2 kegs, which quickly became 9 before I knew what had happened

some things to consider:

- it is typically cheaper to go with a bigger keezer up front than get a small one and replace it later
- you'll find a use for extra space in a keezer, even if not kegs. bottled beer, soda, etc.
- extra space in a keezer opens up the ability to lager
- properly carbonated and chilled kegs can stay fresh for over a year, no worries about having to pound a brew down in a couple weeks
- extra taps means space for club soda, root beer, wine, cider, etc. can be a nice selling point to convince haters. :)

That being said, what is the min size that would allow this?

I would do yourself a favor and buy like a bunch of kegs from the get-go. That way, you can have a pipeline going and use the kegs as almost a purged secondary to condition things in while you wait for a tap to open. I think a few sites have used 4packs, id go with that

I started with 2 kegs, which quickly became 9 before I knew what had happened

Good advice. I'm trying to get in touch with s guy about 45 minutes from me selling 4 ball locks for $40 each.

really depends on how much flexibility you want. three taps? five taps? lots of lagering space? have you checked out the thread below? lots of good info.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=377518

I have seen this thread but I'll read it again. it'll probably have more meaning to me now.

I would expect that my primary needs would be 3-5 taps with extra space for keeping the pipline flowing. Not so much for lagering. Any additional for bottles would be nice.

I want to avoid going to big primarily for aesthetics.

i'm just getting into kegging myself and am starting a keezer build. the more i thought about what size keezer to get, the bigger it got. i decided on a 15.6 cu ft model which should allow for 11 ball kegs and a #10 co2 tank (with a collar). still debating on the tappers, thinking 5 is good but am considering 6. it is relatively easy to add additional tappers so i'm leaning toward 5.

the freezer is 55" wide but i have a nice open space in the basement to put it.

i'm just getting into kegging myself and am starting a keezer build. the more i thought about what size keezer to get, the bigger it got. i decided on a 15.6 cu ft model which should allow for 11 ball kegs and a #10 co2 tank (with a collar). still debating on the tappers, thinking 5 is good but am considering 6. it is relatively easy to add additional tappers so i'm leaning toward 5.

the freezer is 55" wide but i have a nice open space in the basement to put it.

Wow if you can fit 11 kegs in there why don't you put 11 handles on there? I don't understand why you would want the extra room for just storage basically? I guess you could carb some up and they'd be ready to go but I would put all the kegs to use. JMHO

Wow if you can fit 11 kegs in there why don't you put 11 handles on there? I don't understand why you would want the extra room for just storage basically? I guess you could carb some up and they'd be ready to go but I would put all the kegs to use. JMHO

i looking at 10 gallon batches so i'm going to have some kegs just chilling out in there. i'm not seeing many instances where i'll be having 11 distinct kegs in there. and there is the cost factor, of course. each additional tap is another vent-matic faucet, pull handle, secondary regulator, hoses, etc. 5 extra taps is about $500 extra dollars.

but the beauty is, i can add more taps in the future with relative ease.

i looking at 10 gallon batches so i'm going to have some kegs just chilling out in there. i'm not seeing many instances where i'll be having 11 distinct kegs in there. and there is the cost factor, of course. each additional tap is another vent-matic faucet, pull handle, secondary regulator, hoses, etc. 5 extra taps is about $500 extra dollars.

but the beauty is, i can add more taps in the future with relative ease.

I see.

You could always buy those cheap $20 faucets. Not sure why you'd have to have a regulator for each tap. All 4 of mine are the same pressure and it's fine. Mostly the same style though.

I see.

You could always buy those cheap $20 faucets. Not sure why you'd have to have a regulator for each tap. All 4 of mine are the same pressure and it's fine. Mostly the same style though.

if i went to 11 handles, i would probably throw in more manifolds than regulators. i mean, i doubt i would ever have eleven styles with enough carbonation differences to warrant each being on its own secondary. secondaries also let you force carbonate one keg while another is at serving pressures, etc.

sure, i could get cheap faucets but then i have sticking issues, potential leaking issues, etc. i don't want to deal with that and it only becomes more of a hassle with 11 taps, where some handles might not get touched for over a week.

I've been Kegging for 2 months and it's awesome. I just emptied my first co2 bottle into the bottom of my keezer because of a bad seal on a gas post...I now have an appreciation for keg lube. :).

I freed up a 7.2 CI ft (I think) freezer that I had and put a 1x10" collar on it. Dual body tap rite regulator and 4 valve manifold. 4 taps and a 5th keg conditioning on the hump. I'm very happy with it. Im not sure that the effort and expense would be worth it for 1 keg but that's just my opinion. I think the 7-8 cu ft freezer are a nice compromise in terms of size and number of kegs. Even if u have to get a new one at HD they are not too expensive and will give you a lot of satisfaction over the years.

If your not a heavy drinker one cobra or shank tap would be fine - you can buy a complete 1 keg system online. Just switch out the tap for a different keg if you want to use another keg. If your in this for the long run i would suggest at least a few kegs myself. I have 5! I just look at them like really big bottles.

I just bought a simple cobra tap, easiest to set-up. I didn't have to get an fridge and drill a hole through it. :)

Unless you want something fancy of course.

1. CO2 Tank and regulator with quick connect gas line - usually sold has one unit.
2. Cobra tap with liquid side plumbing/connector - sold has one unit.
3. Keg

That's it. Put your keg and C02 tank with the liquid and gas plumbing/plastic tubing in a fridge! No holes!

Also a kegger for 2 months after bottling 136 batches. Also emptied my first CO2 overnight wit ha bad fit (learned about soapy water for finding leaks)

It ROCKS and I think I drink LESS beer now because instead of a HAVING to drink a full 12 ounces I can drink 6 ounces when I just want a spot of beer.

I also brew more because it's so much easier to clean and fill one BIG container instead of 48 small ones.

I purchased a good kegorator instead of making one! Have 3 kegs and am a happy brewer

Back