Sediment in secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlecksBrewHouse

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into brewing. I'm brewing a batch of double IPA from liquid extract. Fermentation went great in primary fermenter. I transferred into secondary fermenter after about a week. Waited a day then threw in an oz of pellet hops for dry hop. They broke apart, but sat on the top for two days so I swirled the beer around. They dropped, or so I thought, but sediment has come to surface. It's been a week since I put dry hops in and still sediment on top. Normal since I didn't put hops in bag? I though it should all drop to bottom?

Dry hops tend to float. You can try to cold crash but that may not sink them. I personally always put pellet hops in a bag for the dry hop and try to weight it down with a SS bolt. (A lot of folks use marbles)

I just had this same problem. 2oz dry hops just floating on top after a week. Cold crashed for a day dropped it no problem.

Put a paint strainer bag or knee-hi over the end of your transfer tubing when you move it to your bottling bucket to filter those small sediment pieces out. I go to the drug store and buy knee-hi's (the kind in the little quarter machine bubbles) and use those for both dry hopping and oaking. Like others said, weigh out down with something food-safe and you're good to go.

Back