Sed in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaperruque

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for the help. So I brewed my first batch and it seem to go well I had my final reading at 1.012 for 3 day straight after I left it in primary for 2 weeks. I then transferred to 2ndary to dry hop. I let it sit for 9 days and just before I bottled took another reading and came out then same thing. I bottled and last Thursday and when I looked at it last night I had sediment on the bottom. Am I ok?

Thanks, Ken

Yeah man, sounds good to me. The priming sugar gets fermented by the yeast left in suspension; that's what carbonates the beer. This mini fermentation causes a little sediment in the bottle. Don't worry about it!

I accidentally siphoned up a fair amount of the sediment when i bottled my IPA, and all of the bottles have a lot of sediment in the bottom. I just pour carefully and leave about the last half-inch in the bottom of the bottle and they still taste great!

Yeah,it's just trub left over from fermenting in the bottle to make co2. and if the beer was cloudy or even a little misty going into the bottles,it settles out clear (for me) in 2-5 days on average. By the time they're carbed & conditioned,& have sat in the fridge a week,that layer will be compacted on the bottom of the bottles,making it easier to pour off more clear beer.

Latest posts

Back