Secondary Vessel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segallis

Reaction score
Just got back into brewing after nearly a decade off. Previously, I never did a secondary fermentation/conditioning. My priming bucket has a spigot about two inches up and I used that to drain the primary directly into kegs. That always left the trub pretty much intact in the primary. The liquid tube in my kegs are about an inch or so above the bottom. My kegs poured clean - even the first draw. And when they were empty, I usually had only 1/8" or so of sediment in the center of the concave bottom.

So question #1, is whether I ought to even consider doing a secondary since I'm kegging and my method doesn't stir up much or siphon any trub to begin with?

Assuming I did do a secondary, question #2 is whether I can use my 6 Gal PET carboy or will that leave too much head space?

Thanks,
-G

The 6G secondary will be fine. I don't secondary either,& they come out clear. I only secondary when using oak,or fruit or something like that. If it ain't broke,don't fix it!

+1 on that! I do not bother with a secondary either. The only time I do is for dry hopping or fruit. Gelatin and straight into the keg has been producing brilliantly clear beer. I am planning a chocolate lager, so I will definitely need it there.

Back