Secondary Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on the beer you can bulk age in secondary a year or more. Read about long primary's vs secondary..

Is three weeks too long in the secondary?

No!

That's usually my minimum time. I have one waiting to be bottled that is currently 3 months in secondary (that's more than normal).

I have sours that are over a year; but that's a completely different style.

I have a Kolsch that has been in the 5 gallon secondary for about 3 weeks now. I'm waiting for it to clear a little more before bottling. I think this weekend will be about 4 weeks. I've been told I could wait a couple months and not have to worry. True? From what I have found searching everywhere it is more than likely yeast and not proteins that are causing the haze.

3 weeks is good for me. I have a 4 week secondary right now. It depends on what additives you have and what you are going for. I had one in a secondary for 6 months (not on purpose, just lazy), and it turned out fine.

Back