Secondary Temp Swings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbransc

Reaction score
My brew-buddy and I have some conflicts surrounding our next brew so I had the idea of racking the current (2) batches into 5-gal secondary buckets and place them in the basement to open up space in the fermentation chamber for (2) new brews. The first (2) brews will be done fermenting (2-wks in primary) and the basement stays a pretty consistent 68-73 degrees right now.

My question is, will that 68-73 degree temp swing matter to the beer if fermentation is complete and the beer is racked to a secondary (the IPA will be dry hopped in the secondary as well)?

thx

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are concerned, make a swamp cooler to better stabilize the temperature.

Pie_Man said:
I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are concerned, make a swamp cooler to better stabilize the temperature.

Just learned about swamp coolers in my thermo class yesterday! You can make one out of a Box fan and the cardboard box it came in! Just spray it down with water and open one side!

But I agree with the other guys. A swamp cooler is prolly not necessary, but it could be a fun 5 min project anyway, lol.

Just learned about swamp coolers in my thermo class yesterday! You can make one out of a Box fan and the cardboard box it came in! Just spray it down with water and open one side!

But I agree with the other guys. A swamp cooler is prolly not necessary, but it could be a fun 5 min project anyway, lol.

I suppose that's one way to do it. Most swamp coolers discussed on here consist of a rubbermaid bin or rope tub with water and frozen water bottles to help regulate the temp. Some also use a wet towel draped over it with a fan to aid in evaporative cooling though.

I suppose that's one way to do it. Most swamp coolers discussed on here consist of a rubbermaid bin or rope tub with water and frozen water bottles to help regulate the temp. Some also use a wet towel draped over it with a fan to aid in evaporative cooling though.

Most of that is for managing primary fermentation temps though. The temps described by OP are fine for secondary.

Yes, if the OP was using the same process to manage primary temps, then his ambient temperature is not sufficient. I've measured my wort at 10F above ambient before I began getting serious about temperature control. Best move I ever made.

His basement for secondary temps are fine, but for less informed other readers, the first week of primary fermentation temps are best when wort itself (not ambient!) is kept within the yeast manufacturer's suggested range for the strain used.

Latest posts

Back