Secondary Regulator Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carusoat

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I built a keezer this year (thread for that here) and I decided to get a 4 way regulator manifold. ( I like to do different styles). Anyways, my problem began when I ordered my first one from beveragefactory.com.

I ordered these: Kegco LH-54S-4

So they came and they were shiny and everything was great...until I noticed they were leaking. So I began leak testing them. I did this 2 ways:

1st, I raised the PSI to about 30, turned off the gas to them and left them overnight. Every time they would read zero in about and hour or two.

2nd, I sprayed them with soapy water to find the leaks. This was the interesting part. I found that the pressure relief valves were leaking. So I called them up and they sent me another. This one failed test 1 (but was better) and so I moved on to the soapy water. It was leaking out of only 1 pressure relief valve, so I said screw it and bought pipe plugs at Home Depot. With the valves plugged I noticed all of the valves to the kegs were leaking through the valves. :mad:

So I called them up again, but this time ordered the next regulator up, which are these. I also asked them to specifically leak test these before they sent them. They said they would.

It failed test number 1, but did much better than the first 2. Now test number 2 was interesting. I found that it's leaking out of the back of the regulator. Which looks to be a safety valve that releases at 45 PSI. Only one of these is leaking and it leaks weather it's at 45 PSI or 1 PSI.

So if you made it through all of that, my question is what the hell do I do now? I don't want them to keep sending me crap, but I just can't justify spending $250 for the Micromatics. If thats the issue, that I'm just buying cheap regulators, then I guess I'll have to pony up the cash. But I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or any advice you guys have.

thanks for reading all that. :mug:

The body that is leaking most likely has a defective diaphragm, or wasn't assembled properly and is leaking around the diaphragm.

If you shut that regulator down to zero can you do the rest of your leak testing on the other bodies? If that's possible, and you can't find anything else wrong, your best shot at ending up with a fully function reg set might be to call the supplier up and tell them to rocket a free rebuild kit to you stat - after they apologize for sticking you with this ongoing nightmare...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back