Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outnumbered

Reaction score
So I put my brown ale into secondary after 3 weeks in primary (vacation caused the long primary) so my question is how long until I can cold crash this beer? how long should I cold crash for until I keg it? Thanks for the help. This will be my first time cold crashing.

Why are you looking to cold crash? For all my brews, I've yet to cold crash a single one. I've also been doing the long primary, no secondary (but aging on elements, racking when it makes sense to, not just 'because')... I've had very clear brews with these methods.

Let the brew go until it tastes ready, then keg it, chill, carbonate, and drink as normal.

I have never had super clear beers. Cold crashing has helped with that. I crash the primary if I'm not dry hopping.

Well that just sucks... Even the batch I dry hopped in primary came out very clear.

What yeasts are you using? Except for my first two batches I've been using Wyeast strains from the British Isles (first two used 1056)... I've used 1084, 1318, 1335 (I know, not a UK yeast), 1728, 1882-PC, and soon 1768-PC... I'm using 1318 more these days, but I get pretty much the same results across off of them... Of course, I've also been going 4-8 weeks in primary (depending on the OG)... Since around March of this year I've been brewing with a buddy, fermenting in his basement. The batches have been in the 64-65F range for most of the year. With the recent heat waves/hot pops, it's spiked to almost 70F in the basement. Still, well within the range for the yeasts I use.

IMO, you shouldn't NEED to cold crash in order to get clear brews. Or at least as clear as they should be within the style.

Golddiggie said:
Well that just sucks... Even the batch I dry hopped in primary came out very clear.

What yeasts are you using? Except for my first two batches I've been using Wyeast strains from the British Isles (first two used 1056)... I've used 1084, 1318, 1335 (I know, not a UK yeast), 1728, 1882-PC, and soon 1768-PC... I'm using 1318 more these days, but I get pretty much the same results across off of them... Of course, I've also been going 4-8 weeks in primary (depending on the OG)... Since around March of this year I've been brewing with a buddy, fermenting in his basement. The batches have been in the 64-65F range for most of the year. With the recent heat waves/hot pops, it's spiked to almost 70F in the basement. Still, well within the range for the yeasts I use.

IMO, you shouldn't NEED to cold crash in order to get clear brews. Or at least as clear as they should be within the style.

I really can't figure out why they take so long to clear. I use mostly dry yeast lately. 04, 05 and notty occasionally. I have had similar results with liquid yeasts though. I almost always rack a slightly hazy beer to my keg. It clears nicely after a week or two in the kegger though. I started crashing so I can rack clear to the keg...doesn't really matter i guess. Maybe its a water thing?

Back