secondary outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
Hello. I am doing a partial extract Kolsch and and have already done a primary at a constant 67 F for 2 weeks. Now SWMBO thinks its time to turn the heat on in our apt. so its gonna get up to 75 at times (forced air). I am transferring to a secondary tonight and was debating whether or not I should store it outside for a bit. How bad will temp fluctuations for the beer? Its about 58 during the day lately and about 45 at night. Not supposed to freeze in the forseeable future. If it did dip down to 30 F for a night, would that be very bad? Would it be safer to keep it at the warmer temps inside now that the primary is (presumably) done? Thanks a ton for any responses.

You could use a rubbermaid tub or better yet modify a tall cooler like this.... Walmart.com: Igloo 60 Qt. Ice Cube Roller Cooler: Camping - Put your carboy in there, fill the tub/cooler with water and rotate out frozen water bottles. I use a method like this and it keeps the wort at a stable 64 degrees. I do my fermenting in our utility room so it has drastic temp fluctuations. A bathtub would also work.

i use whiskey's exact method for primary during the summer. lately my house is a pretty consistent 65F so no need unless i want to go cold, like 58 for the kolsch i have in primary. luckily i didn't have any beer in the keezer, so i pulled out all the empties and dialed it up to 58F. do you live in CO by any chance? your temperature descriptions sound a lot like the last few days. anyway, if you don't want to do the cooler and water bottles and your beer is done fermenting and you want to drop the yeast then i'd say go ahead and put it outside. as long as you keep it cool and out of the light.

Whiskey thats a great idea. I'm gonna be out of town this coming week though. SenorWanderer I'm in Chicago. I think I will drop the yeast. Had a taste when I transferred and it is GOOOD as is. Thanks you guys.

I use that exact cooler, cut a hole in the top just big enough to let the neck stick out, and filled the top with foam. I'll take a picture if I can find my stupid camera. You will have to come up with a inside support as the floor is uneven.
But it is a pretty cheap solution, and keeps the SWMBO from nagging about carboys taking up a bathtub.

Here ya go, sorry for the wait.

PA240001.jpg

PA240002.jpg

It works and it was cheap. Plus it has wheels and drain so it easy to deal with. In retrospect, I should have bought two, as it probably would have made a pretty good Mash Tun.

Back