Secondary and trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
Hey all! I just transferred a ipa into a secondary to dry hop it. I was really careful not to grab any trub when auto-siphoning out the beer. I checked the gravity and it was about 5 points off from target. I am assuming that it will finish out when dry hopping, but my question is: will there be enough yeast to finish and carbonate if I didn't grab anything of the bottom. I can always repitch. I kept temps really stable and cool. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

How long has it been in the primary? Personally, I would let it finish, THEN transfer to secondary and dry hop your heart out. :) Seems to me that it would be less stress on the yeast.

And, yes, you will have plenty of yeast to carbonate.

EDIT: by finish, I mean, take another reading in a day or two. If there's no change, wait one more day and check again. You just want to be sure you've hit terminal gravity before racking to the secondary.

Dronco,

It's been in there for 2 weeks. It's been a stable 62 from day 1. I used S-05 ad it was busy for about 8 days. Since then quiet.

I don't have any experience with s05 yet, but, I'd still wait one more day, check it again. If you are at FG you can give the yeast a GENTLE rouse and bump the temp up 1 or 2 degrees to try and encourage the yeast to finish those last 5 points. There are many factors that can contribute to attenuation but it's possible you can finish a little heavy.

:cheers:

Edit: I just realized you already said you racked to secondary. Your beer will still be fine. It's been my understanding that it's always better to have ferm finish before going to secondary. The only effect I can see will be your abv. If there is anything else, I'm sure someone else will chime in

Back