Second time cider Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
Made cider last year that came unpasteurized and it was pretty tasty but got pretty tart in the end. I have some cider going now that's down to 1.020 and really pretty tasty with a good balance of sweet vs tart. What's the best way for me to stop the fermentation now and keep the desired flavor, cold crash? Also is cider like wine where you need to degas it? I did wine kits a few times and i remember degassing it. Sorry for the newb questions - more a beer Brewer! Appreciate the help!

Made cider last year that came unpasteurized and it was pretty tasty but got pretty tart in the end. I have some cider going now that's down to 1.020 and really pretty tasty with a good balance of sweet vs tart. What's the best way for me to stop the fermentation now and keep the desired flavor, cold crash? Also is cider like wine where you need to degas it? I did wine kits a few times and i remember degassing it. Sorry for the newb questions - more a beer Brewer! Appreciate the help!

What type of yeast did you use?

Hit with gelatin, rack, and chill immediately. You need to get the yeast out of there if you want it to stall. After racking and chilling, you may also want to add sorbate and sulfite to further kill the yeast that remains. Otherwise fermentation will continue until gravity hits about 0.992.

Back