Second round of fermentation - first time this has happened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Kind of an odd thing happening with my recent IPA. Yeast is Conan, built up from 2 cans of Heady, 400ml - 800ml -1.5L. Fermented vigorously for about 3-4 days, then absolutely ceased airlock activity. Gravity down to about 1.011, which is basically expected FG. Dryhopped in secondary on day 10, realizing that it would likely result in some airlock activity. Well its been bubbling for 3 days, got a small krausen ring, and I can see a teeny bit of yeast swirling going on. Guess it wasn't done after all! Hope its not wild/infected...time will tell on that I suppose.:confused:

The yeast may have just stalled and racking caused them to rouse and wake back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would keep an eye on your gravity and see if it changes. I have had beer that was just off gassing lead me to think it was still working because of airlock bubbles. It even had foam which I thought was krausen. After watching the gravity and seeing it staying the same I finally figured it out. The odd thing is most of the time by the time the yeast has finished off the beer no longer has any Co2 to off gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How does it taste? That is the the best way to get your answer at this point. if it is infection, then you may either get a sour note or a strong clove like flavor, or even something more sinister.

Good thoughts above, sounds like a couple great excuses to take a hydro sample and taste.

Another thing to consider is that if it is still fermenting, it may drive out some of the aroma from the dry hopping. Definitely an easy fix, though.

Other than that, I agree with the guys above me. Check the gravity again and see if it's still changing. And definitely give it a taste.

My bet is that it's off gassing, especially if your gravity stays the same. Hops are not smooth, therefore, they provide nucleation sites for the CO2. Chances are, the hops just caused your beer to release some of the dissolved gas. Depending on how much activity this resulted in, it's possible that it could kick up a little yeast from the yeast cake as well.

A litle more followup: looks like Conan was still working. Gravity down to 1.007, and it finally looks like this second round of fermentation is wrapping up. I didn't really want the gravity to go so low, I know there is always the possibility of something wild in there. But the good news - its very tasty, with a lot of citrus going on which was my goal. Maybe Conan is just that much of a beast. I'll recheck my notes but that would put attenuation somewhere around or even slightly over 85%. I really tried to mash a little high but I don't think high enough. Still - its really good! :) On to bottling!

Back