Second Batch: Need Recs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gjohnson

Reaction score
For my second batch I need some recs from you guys. For my first batch I made a Sierra Nevada type beer. Turned out very good and was very pleased with the outcome. I bought the kit locally, but would like to get something from Northern Brewer if it makes sense.

This batch I want to be somewhat like a Sam Adams type flavor. For me, the more hop flavor the better, but having only a one stage fermenting setup the IPAs are not recommended from what I have been told. So are there any Sam Adams type kits from NB? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

You can make an IPA if you want. I just add my dryhops to the fermenter about a week before bottling.

Anyway, Sam Adams is a lager and those tend to be harder unless you have strict temperature control (ferment at 50 degrees) and do two-stage fermentation, transferring to a carboy to lager at 34 degrees.

I'd stick with any ale kit that Northern Brewer has. I like their kits, and would do any of them that sound good. I'm a huge fan of Surly Furious IPA, and they have a kit for that beer. I've never made that one, but I've made my own version and think their kit would be great. If you don't want an IPA, they have some other really great ale kits.

I would recommend Northern Brewer's Chinook IPA. It would give you a different American hop flavor that you could try and compare to your Sierra Nevada style which more than likely had predominantly Cascade hops. Also, it wouldn't be a huge deal if you only used a primary fermenter. Just give it an extra week past the end of fermentation.

Best of luck,

Tom

Northern Brewer make a sam adams clone using ale yeast I believe. I think it's called john q. marblehead or something to that effect. I thought about pulling the trigger on it, but I can't seem to find enough time to brew lately.

If you wanted to look at Austin Homebrew, they have several Sam Adams clones, not just the Boston Lager.

I haven't tried any of the kits from Northern or any of the other suppliers on here as my LHBS has a very good selection, but have heard great reports from most on the Northern kits. As far as making a hoppy beer, I would also suggest going for an IPA with a Chinook base. I prefer the hoppier Chinook over the Cascade that was in your Sierra Clone, and dry hopping in your fermentor is as easy as pulling your air lock and dumping the hops through the top and recapping. Today I just dry hopped a Chinook IPA with 2 oz Cascade, super easy. I have done this quite a few times and never have had any issues. Wasn't able to transfer to my secondary as it is currently in the middle of a 3 month fermetation of a dry mead.

Awesome choices. I think I am going to go with the Chinook as many suggested. Great idea too on dropping the dry hops through the airlock hole, I would have struggled with taking the top off the bucket before I thought about that. Goods Recs. Thanks again.

Dry hopped my Chinooks for that kit a few days ago. I've basically sat with my nose at the airlock since then. My roommates think I've got a problem, I'm not sure they're wrong.

Latest posts

Back