Second all grain BIAB and new issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger_M

Reaction score
On my first Biab i used a default beersmith equipment profile and screwed up figuring it would be close enough. Today i figured i was all set but again had issues. Heres how it went. I set up a profile for my equipment as close as i can figure. I inputted the recipe into beersmith and it seemed to look right. My preboil gravity was spot on to the recipe but my post boil was alot higher 1.076 vs 1.069. and my post boil volume is low about 3 liters. I added 3 liters of water and it gave me 1.063. Its a bit lower than i hoped but ok. Todays brewday was alot more sucessful than my last all grain but im not sure where to look to fix my math now. any ideas? :smack:

Your boil off rate is more than what is defaulted into beersmith. If you know your boil off rate, enter it into beersmith. If you don't know, boil a test run and carefully measure how much boils off in 1 hr.

On that test boil get your time and burner dial placements recorded for your next brew day. Or if you're using beersmith just enter the updated #'s

At first i thought my boil off was wrong, although it worked for a 60 min extract boil 2 weeks ago. This one was a 90 min boil. Once i topped off the fermenter with water it brought the wort to a lower value than it would have been had it just been boil off being wrong... Or am i missing something. I tried compensating for the 3 liters i was short by adjusting my boil off and if thats the case i was off by 50% or so. 2 values i dont know are pre boil volume volume lost to absorption, i shoud have weighed the grain bag before discarding.

Back