Sealing back of Love temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hot_carl

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Just built up a collar for my new keezer that replaced old faithfull the kegerator(Didn't die, just serving up beer in a new home). I wired up a Love temp control unit and I would like to mount it in the collar as well. I see a possible problem with condensation not mixing well with eletronics since it looks that the back side of the controller would jut into the inside of the keezer(I have a 1x8 collar with insulation inside). I've seen numerous keezers build like this...are you guys using a sealed junction box or something similar on the inside to cover it, or just letting it hang out there. Anyone had any issues yet with letting it live with its backside in the freezer? I live in the humid south and condensation is a plague with anything cold down here. Cheers :mug:

Sooo...46 people have looked at this thread an nobody has an opinion? I know alot of you guys with keezers have used the love controllers. Are they open in back to the elements, or sealed up from the inside of the keezer somehow? I'm hesitant to make the hole in my newly finished collar until I know exactly how I need to approach this.

I installed my love controller in a chest freezer and embedded it where the compressor housing is located. So the back of the controller is outside of the cooling chamber. It looks professional and works great.

I also use an adsorbent to keep the inside of the freezer dry so this may be an option for you as well.

I used a junction box like you mentioned. It was a plastic one that wasn't completely sealed, but I just went around it with silicone to seal up any gaps. I have had it set up for years without any problems.

Where can you get absorbant (I assume you are using silica gel or something similar) in decent quantity. Ive seen small amounts...like a handful of packets, that is meant to keep a gun case dry, but that may not be enough for an area where theres condensation and spills. Its also kind of pricey since its being repackaged for the sporting market.

Where can you get absorbant (I assume you are using silica gel or something similar) in decent quantity. Ive seen small amounts...like a handful of packets, that is meant to keep a gun case dry, but that may not be enough for an area where theres condensation and spills. Its also kind of pricey since its being repackaged for the sporting market.

I bought something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HXXBPQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have 4 of these in a 13 cu ft chest freezer. To de-hydrate them, you just pop them in the oven at 300 F for 30 min or so. You can constantly re-use. They work well, but I will probably get 4 more sometime in the future in order to increase my dehydration capacity.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sealed my controller in a plastic box and seal with silicone, not sure if it was necessary but it was not much more work and better safe than sorry. the box also protects the controller when hoisting the kegs over the collar.

i wrapped a few pieces of e-tape around the exposed contacts on mine

i had intentions of using a junction box cover but not quite enough room in mine

i use damprid and don't really notice any moisture or condensation inside the keezer thankfully but figure better to be safe than sorry

I have mine in the top of the collar on the kegorator. The temps are a bit warmer where it's at, but i haven't done anything to seal it. it's been about two years, and I haven't noticed any issues with condensation.

I have a similar style controller mounted in the collar of my keezer without any protection. Between the dry climate and airtight construction I don't have much if any condensation. It's been over 2 years without any issues or signs of corrosion.

Sooo...46 people have looked at this thread an nobody has an opinion? .

Not a keezer,similar project.

Radio Shack box.

Light_LED.jpg

Controls_1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back