Screwed up White IPA, what do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
Okay...we've all done it, but today I was brewing a White IPA....standard Witbier recipe ramped up to 1.062 O.G. and hopped with .75oz of Galazy for 60 mins and then a 2oz whirlpool addtion at flameout (1oz Citra, 1oz Galaxy). In all the excitement of getting my new pump and plate chiller ready, I totally forgot my whirpool hops. Despite the fact that my pump worked like a champ, I've now got a 1.060 Witbier sitting at 34IBU instead of the 60IBU that I was looking for. Question...do I just continue with it as a Witbier or should I still dry hop the crap out of it with Citra and Galaxy? Luckily I still added 1oz of coriander and 1 oz of orange peel. I would probably like either result, but not sure the dry hopping will really get me any thing...thanks!

I'd just dryhop it as in the recipe, and take it for what it is. It's a BUGU ratio of about 0.55. Not to bad.

Okay...we've all done it, but today I was brewing a White IPA....standard Witbier recipe ramped up to 1.062 O.G. and hopped with .75oz of Galazy for 60 mins and then a 2oz whirlpool addtion at flameout (1oz Citra, 1oz Galaxy). In all the excitement of getting my new pump and plate chiller ready, I totally forgot my whirpool hops. Despite the fact that my pump worked like a champ, I've now got a 1.060 Witbier sitting at 34IBU instead of the 60IBU that I was looking for. Question...do I just continue with it as a Witbier or should I still dry hop the crap out of it with Citra and Galaxy? Luckily I still added 1oz of coriander and 1 oz of orange peel. I would probably like either result, but not sure the dry hopping will really get me any thing...thanks!

Dry hopping will not change the IBU's. Hops need to be boiled or at least heated over about 170F to isomerize and create the bittering. I'd probably leave the beer alone and enjoy it when done, then if I wasn't satisfied with it, brew the recipe again.

Back