Scrapple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to make that with sage sausage & yellow corn meal. Sliced & fried with eggs, biscuits-n-gravy...:cross:

Grew up in central PA. Raised and butchered our own pigs. And of course made our own scrapple. We liked it with a decent amount of pepper in it. When I get back there now and buy some, I have to add a little pepper as I fry it or it is too bland. My wife thinks I am nuts for eating it, and only my son will have some with me. It has become a one time a year thing for us now - at Thanksgiving we go "back home" and eat scrapple every morning!

Bonus points if you also call it pon haus.

I picked up this Amish/Quaker thing of mixing equal parts of bacon drippin' & butter in the pan to fry it in. Also makes a savory sauce on veggies, which is more common with them. I've got a couple Amish/Quaker cookbooks as well.

Every time I see this thread I think of the game Scrabble.
Then I wonder, how many points would you get if you spelled the word Scrapple?

I always imagined it is one of those acquired taste things. I was raised on the stuff and love it. Restaurant up in Delaware has a burger that is a special some nights with scrapple on it. MMMMMM!! It's in every grocery store but I'm still amazed by how many locals don't know what it is. Course, that's probably the only way to get someone to eat it....if they don't know what it is. :D

scrapple.jpg

I always imagined it is one of those acquired taste things. I was raised on the stuff and love it. Restaurant up in Delaware has a burger that is a special some nights with scrapple on it. MMMMMM!! It's in every grocery store but I'm still amazed by how many locals don't know what it is. Course, that's probably the only way to get someone to eat it....if they don't know what it is. :D

My favorite kind, Rappa FTW

Let's turn this into a scrapple recipe thread.

I have relatives near Reading PA - my favorite scrapple is from Weavers Market on 2590 N Reading Rd Denver, PA 17517.

Straight-up scrapple @ Weavers.

I've got homemade in the freezer right now. Might fry some up tomorrow. Tongue is the magic ingredient. And liver. And some buckwheat flour to thicken it up. I love the stuff but I think foods made from offal are frowned upon by nutritionists :)

_mg_9124-64255.jpg

That is only so it leaves more for them.

Every time I see this thread I think of the game Scrabble.

Then I wonder, how many points would you get if you spelled the word Scrapple?

Scrapple is a 14 point word in scrabble. Unless of course you are playing on a point multiplier.. It would be great to add the SCR- to apple or the -PLE to scrap lol.

Back