Scoring inside SS Brewtech sampling valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdood

Reaction score
The feel of the sampling valve on my Brewtech unitank was noticeably rougher during my past brew (3rd batch through it), so I took it apart today and was shocked to find scoring of the stainless on the inside. Also noticed that the machined out holes felt rough to the touch. As it'd be real hard to believe that yeast or hop trub caused that scoring, and given the machining felt a touch rough still, my guess is there were some metal artifacts from manufacturing left that caused the scoring. Just a heads up to check yours and possibly sand/file down any metal shards that may be present as it's not a cheap part to replace and anytime I see things like this I think it's yet another spot to harbor infection.

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with the TC bottom dump valve on my uni tank. I sent an email to the Australian distributor and they replaced it straight away. I actually used it for my first ferment in the unitank, I just moved the handle position and had the valve fitted with the damaged port facing outwards.
IMG_2387.jpg

That pitting is interesting, wonder what could have caused it? I don't think the valve rubs on that point.

That pitting is interesting, wonder what could have caused it? I don't think the valve rubs on that point.

Correct Bigdood. I’m no metallurgist/instrument maker but I assumed that the fault in the photo was from the stainless being poorly polished. Happy to be corrected.

I didn’t have as much scoring on mine but even after taking it apart, cleaning, and reassemble with keg lube the valve operation was stuck. Ss and their awesome customer service took care of the issue right away. I even offered to send in the old on for them to troubleshoot but they didn’t want it back.

Cool, I'll give them a try. I've heard their CS was good but didn't have a great experience first time around, could be luck of the draw who I got that day.

Latest posts

Back