Score sheets from NHC for Kansas City?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
I know nobody finds out if they make it to the second round until May but has anyone received their as score sheets from the first round who enter in the Kansas City location?

They said on the website that they won't release anything until all the sites have completed their judging and by May 4th, the individal scoresheets will be made available for download.

From the Site...

"First Round Winners

Winners of the First Round Judging Centers will be reported once all 11 locations have completed judging and submitted the results to the National Homebrew Competition Director. By May 4, 2013 winners will be posted and competition entrants will be able to access full results via the online database used for registration.

Please do not contact site directors requesting results, as they are not permitted to release this information until the AHA has published all winners from all 11 judging centers. Thank you for your patience and cooperation"

"

It says that on all the log in sites - including the Seattle site where they posted final results for a time, as well as mailed out scoresheets.

I did see a post where someone said they had gotten their scoresheet from KC.... but, that was the only posted I noticed stating that.

Mine were at St. Paul. Have not received anything at this point.

I got a 27 on a spiced cherry dubbel in category 20A, and a 39 on a bourbon vanilla porter in category 23A. Decent score on the porter but I doubt I moved on since 23A is a well populated category, but it was great to get feedback.

Great news. Maybe a silly question, did you receive your score sheets via email or regular mail? I haven't seen anything on my email but I haven't checked my regular mail since like last Wednesday. Can't check it now since I'm at work (lunch hour). Thanks

I got my sheets back, also. I have a question though. Several of my beers scored in the 40's and went to a Mini Best in show round.

So if if says that your beer went to a mini best in show round but you didn't place, does that mean that you didn't place anywhere in that category?

I also had a couple of beers place 2nd in a Mini Best of Show. So does that mean I took second in that category??

yup, got my scoresheet yesterday. i posted this in the main NHC results thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/2013-nhc-first-round-results-404362/index7.html#post5113163)

got my scoresheet from KC yesterday. i entered 7 beers. i knew that 3 of them wouldn't score well and expectations were met - 24 & under. feedback was mixed in terms of usefulness. the next two did decently, a 30 and a 34.5. i held high hopes for the final two and they didn't disappoint: a 40 in 16E (belgian specialty) and a 45 in 6C (kolsch)!!! both advanced to their mini-BOS. one judge wrote "best kolsch of the night", so my fingers are crossed :mug:

after reading my results i had trouble getting to sleep last night, i was dancing around the living room :ban:

yup, got my scoresheet yesterday. i posted this in the main NHC results thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/2013-nhc-first-round-results-404362/index7.html#post5113163)

got my scoresheet from KC yesterday. i entered 7 beers. i knew that 3 of them wouldn't score well and expectations were met - 24 & under. feedback was mixed in terms of usefulness. the next two did decently, a 30 and a 34.5. i held high hopes for the final two and they didn't disappoint: a 40 in 16E (belgian specialty) and a 45 in 6C (kolsch)!!! both advanced to their mini-BOS. one judge wrote "best kolsch of the night", so my fingers are crossed :mug:

after reading my results i had trouble getting to sleep last night, i was dancing around the living room :ban:

Congrats, but did it say what place you came in Mini Best in Show?? What I'm asking is, if the box that says where you placed is blank, then that means you didn't advance, correct?

2 of my mini best in show entries say I received 2nd and Honorable Mention, but the other 4 boxes are blank. That means they didn't advance in the category. As far as what I've read online about BJCP Mini BOS regulations, that's my take on it. I hope I'm wrong because then maybe all 6 of mine that went to Mini Best in Show still have a chance of advancing, but I don't think so.

Congrats, but did it say what place you came in Mini Best in Show?? What I'm asking is, if the box that says where you placed is blank, then that means you didn't advance, correct?

2 of my mini best in show entries say I received 2nd and Honorable Mention, but the other 4 boxes are blank. That means they didn't advance in the category. As far as what I've read online about BJCP Mini BOS regulations, that's my take on it. I hope I'm wrong because then maybe all 6 of mine that went to Mini Best in Show still have a chance of advancing, but I don't think so.

I was under the impression that the first round centers were not going to indicate whether you placed or not on your score sheets. It sounds like a few of yours did indicate your finish in the mini-BOS and therefore your finish in that particular category. Other flights may or may not have recorded if you placed or not in the mini-BOS.

I was under the impression that the first round centers were not going to indicate whether you placed or not on your score sheets. It sounds like a few of yours did indicate your finish in the mini-BOS and therefore your finish in that particular category. Other flights may or may not have recorded if you placed or not in the mini-BOS.

I thought that too, but I guess not. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the other blank boxes actually placed and weren't marked, or if none of the others placed. I'll be bummed if neither of my 42 scores don't take at least a third!

all of my "Place Awarded" boxes were blank (including the 40 and the 45).

I was under the impression that the first round centers were not going to indicate whether you placed or not on your score sheets.
that's what was said in the other thread too. the competition websites all say "Winners of the First Round Judging Centers will be reported once all 11 locations have completed judging and submitted the results to the National Homebrew Competition Director. By May 4, 2013 winners will be posted and competition entrants will be able to access full results via the online database used for registration."

so to me, that sounds like they won't be releasing the names of winners until all judging is done. any rankings given out to date were a mistake.

I also got my scoresheets in the mail from KC yesterday. I'm a fairly new brewer and this was my first competition. I had 4 entries, and was hoping I would have 2 scores above 30. Turns out I got 32 (APA), 33 (English Brown), 38 (American IPA), and 40 (Specialty-Black IPA), definitely made my day when I saw that. :ban:

The 38 (IPA) and 40 (Specialty-Black IPA) both indicated that they advanced to mini-BOS, also with empty placement boxes so I'm assuming they didn't place. But the scores were a great confidence booster, up until registration day I was still apprehensive about entering anything at all, I'm glad I listened to advice I had read throughout the forums to not second guess too much and just give it a shot!

The judges' feedback was excellent on all of them. The lower scoring entries I had expected to be worse since they were experiments that deviated a bit from the styles, in both of those cases the stylistic accuracy was indeed greatest loss of points. But they also highlighted areas that were done well, and included some thoughts on what could be adjusted to make improvements. My higher scoring entries had an equally excellent level of detail and very useful feedback that will help me with future versions of those recipes.

Cache22, congrats!

The 38 (IPA) and 40 (Specialty-Black IPA) both indicated that they advanced to mini-BOS, also with empty placement boxes so I'm assuming they didn't place.

eh, i'm not assuming that yet. based on the main "results" thread, most people are showing blank placement boxes. officially they aren't supposed to let anyone know until all judging is complete, so everyone finds out at the same time. it's my belief/hope that anyone who got placement rankings was given that info by mistake. TBD.

Dang, I don't even wanna look at my score sheets now cause it looks like you guys killed the competition. All good... All I know is that if a 45 didn't make it to the second round, then nothing did. I entered a black ipa as well so you got me nervous now on that one. Can't wait to crack the mail box open.

Dang, I don't even wanna look at my score sheets now cause it looks like you guys killed the competition. All good... All I know is that if a 45 didn't make it to the second round, then nothing did. I entered a black ipa as well so you got me nervous now on that one. Can't wait to crack the mail box open.

I just think that as a group we all had a lot of first-class beer! It sounds like KC was a good place to be a judge this year: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15382.0 :mug:

Hate to be the one to bring bad news, but if you don't have a number in the Place Awarded box on your cover sheet, you didn't place.

I spoke to Steve Cook, the guy in charge of the Kansas City site and these are his words pasted from an email:

As far as the results reported to individual brewers, the judges and stewards were instructed to put the place information on the cover sheet if the beer placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. There is no actual designation in the NHC competition for "Honorable Mention" other than the judges desire to let the brewer know they had a difficult time deciding which beer would advance in 3rd place. There is no advance for 4th (HM) place. Further, If there is no "place" designation on the cover sheet then that beer did not advance to the final round even though it made the cut to mini-BOS. Here are the exact instructions we have from Janice Gross at the AHA:

There are rules around the results of the competition, so I think a reminder is in order.

Please do these things:
Write 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place as appropriate on the cover sheets of the winning entries, and send all score sheets to the entrants ASAP following the competition.
Verbally announce the winners after the conclusion of the competition.

Please do NOT do these things:
Make hard copies of the competition results available.
Post the competition results on a website.
Email or electronically make available the results from the competition.

There is a perception of fairness, or the lack thereof, when we post competition results before all of the competitions have finished judging. Thanks.

I'm disappointed, too. I had one beer move on, but I had 2 beers that scored 42 and one that scored 43 and all 3 missed the cut. Based on what I'm seeing overall from this region, I think the scoring is skewed to a higher level. I've entered comps for a long time and I've never seen so many scores in the 42-45 range. Not saying we aren't making good beer, but it seems like a little grade inflation.

How many comps have you guys entered and not taken at least 3rd with a beer that scored 43? I know I haven't.

I would say at your typical competition that a score in the low 40's will generally place, if not outright win. However this is a competition with about 750 entries. Spread out across 28 categories, you have almost 27 entries per category. Not all categories will have equal entries - the American Ales, stouts, and porters will usually have many more entries. What that means is that almost every category is going to have a mini-BOS.

Ultimately your score was good enough to get you to the mini-BOS. At the mini-BOS the beers are lined up, tasted, and places awarded. Scores count for nothing.

Hate to be the one to bring bad news, but if you don't have a number in the Place Awarded box on your cover sheet, you didn't place.
well that's a bit of a bummer. but only a bit, i'm still quite happy with my scores :mug:

I spoke to Steve Cook, the guy in charge of the Kansas City site and these are his words pasted from an email:

As far as the results reported to individual brewers, the judges and stewards were instructed to put the place information on the cover sheet if the beer placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
how does he square up that with the instructions given by the AHA - that no final results should be posted until ALL judging centers have completed their work?

"Winners of the First Round Judging Centers will be reported once all 11 locations have completed judging and submitted the results to the National Homebrew Competition Director." (http://www.brewingcompetition.com/)

Please do these things:
Write 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place as appropriate on the cover sheets of the winning entries, and send all score sheets to the entrants ASAP following the competition.
Verbally announce the winners after the conclusion of the competition.

(...)

There is a perception of fairness, or the lack thereof, when we post competition results before all of the competitions have finished judging. Thanks.
wtf? to me, the bold part is in direct opposition to the previous statement.

I had one beer move on,
among all the rambling crap i write here, this is my most important point/question: can you confirm that you had a beer judge in KC and got a number in the "Place Awarded" box?

Not saying we aren't making good beer, but it seems like a little grade inflation.
if there is grade inflation, that points to a potential problem with judging. there will always be some variability but part of the point of the BJCP program is to ensure consistency of evaluation. i guess the other possibility is that a the beer overall was of a much higher quality this year... but that seems a little unlikely.

How many comps have you guys entered and not taken at least 3rd with a beer that scored 43? I know I haven't.
tell that to the guy with a 45 and an empty "Place Awarded" box...

until i see final results posted on or before May 4, i maintain a shred of hope.

*Raises hand*

So who else thinks delaying the release of the first round results makes little to no sense.

Sorry to derail the thread. Congratulations on the 45 - I would enter it into another competition and see how it fares.

No clue on how they did things THIS year, or at KC...... But, I know someone posted in a thread elsewhere that last year they got a scoresheet with a blank box..... and when final results were posted they had, indeed, qualified for the second round - even though there was no indication on their first round NHC scoresheet. So, unless someone confirms that 100% of the "top 3" placers from KC were marked - I would keep your beer on hand, or rebrew it. Worst case scenario - you have more great kolsch to drink this summer.
+1 congratulating you on a great score. I have received some 40-43's in some comps...... and one 45. Sure, the 45 was probably "inflated" - but, it was probably still a 40 something. Every beer I have brewed that got scores in the 40's was really, really an outstanding beer that I wished I could just have on tap forever.... So, regardless of a couple points here or there - you know you had/have a super beer on your hands with that one, regardless of place.

well that's a bit of a bummer. but only a bit, i'm still quite happy with my scores :mug:

how does he square up that with the instructions given by the AHA - that no final results should be posted until ALL judging centers have completed their work?

"Winners of the First Round Judging Centers will be reported once all 11 locations have completed judging and submitted the results to the National Homebrew Competition Director." (http://www.brewingcompetition.com/)

wtf? to me, the bold part is in direct opposition to the previous statement.

among all the rambling crap i write here, this is my most important point/question: can you confirm that you had a beer judge in KC and got a number in the "Place Awarded" box?

if there is grade inflation, that points to a potential problem with judging. there will always be some variability but part of the point of the BJCP program is to ensure consistency of evaluation. i guess the other possibility is that a the beer overall was of a much higher quality this year... but that seems a little unlikely.

tell that to the guy with a 45 and an empty "Place Awarded" box...

until i see final results posted on or before May 4, i maintain a shred of hope.

To your pressing question: Yes, I had a beer judge in Kansas City and I had a 2 written in the Place Awarded box for my American IPA. My friend had a 1 in the box for his Oktoberfest.

No clue on how they did things THIS year, or at KC...... But, I know someone posted in a thread elsewhere that last year they got a scoresheet with a blank box..... and when final results were posted they had, indeed, qualified for the second round - even though there was no indication on their first round NHC scoresheet. So, unless someone confirms that 100% of the "top 3" placers from KC were marked - I would keep your beer on hand, or rebrew it. Worst case scenario - you have more great kolsch to drink this summer.
+1 congratulating you on a great score. I have received some 40-43's in some comps...... and one 45. Sure, the 45 was probably "inflated" - but, it was probably still a 40 something. Every beer I have brewed that got scores in the 40's was really, really an outstanding beer that I wished I could just have on tap forever.... So, regardless of a couple points here or there - you know you had/have a super beer on your hands with that one, regardless of place.

I would say that an email from the Competition Director in that region that states that all of the places were written on the cover pages is pretty good confirmation, but maybe that's just me. Also, I now know of at least 4 people that received score sheets with places marked on them. Certainly hold on to your other bottles or re-brew if you want, but I feel like we got a pretty definitive response from the guy running things.

*Raises hand*

So who else thinks delaying the release of the first round results makes little to no sense.

Agreed.

For anyone who entered in St. Paul the places were marked on the cover sheets. I'm not sure if scoresheets have been mailed yet, but in theory they should have been by now.

I would say that an email from the Competition Director in that region that states that all of the places were written on the cover pages is pretty good confirmation, but maybe that's just me. Also, I now know of at least 4 people that received score sheets with places marked on them. Certainly hold on to your other bottles or re-brew if you want, but I feel like we got a pretty definitive response from the guy running things.

No - I agree - especially after a few people posted that they indeed had gotten sheets with places on them. At this point it seems unlikely that only "some" sheets had places and others did not.

Just thinking that it did happen last year that people got sheets without places and did qualify. It is likely they were told the same thing last year too about putting places on sheets, and it did not happen across the board. Comps were also told not to post results, and seattle results were posted for a time. So, just because the organizer set out certain instructions, there is always a chance they were not followed.

But, I agree, I would say that if you did not get a place on your sheet, you can be 95% certain you did not advance. But nothing lost by saving those last few bottles for a couple weeks just in case.

it makes a lot of sense, in terms of fairness. it isn't fair for contestants from one judging center to have their results before folks from another center. there is what, 3 or 4 weeks difference between the first and the last judging centers' evaluations? that 3 or 4 extra weeks is an unfair advantage to those who get their results early. they might have time to rebrew a beer while the last folks won't.

it makes a lot of sense, in terms of fairness. it isn't fair for contestants from one judging center to have their results before folks from another center. there is what, 3 or 4 weeks difference between the first and the last judging centers' evaluations? that 3 or 4 extra weeks is an unfair advantage to those who get their results early. they might have time to rebrew a beer while the last folks won't.

The 2nd round is at the end of June which is more than two months out. Mostly every category that makes it through is going to be re-brewed with a few exceptions. Releasing the results of each region as it's completed doesn't really give anyone much of a edge, IMO. If you're really that worried about having a couple weeks on someone hen you could have entered a region that was judged earlier.

All delaying the results has done so far has resulted in a lot of confusion as score sheets have been received - some with places, some with not, and one region posting the results for a few hours. If they wanted to delay announcing the results then they should have delayed mailing out the score sheets.

Well the previously posted info on KC answers my questions. Am I disappointed I didn't move on, a little. But I am really pleased with all my scores. I went into the comp with the hopes of getting feedback on my beers, and while I don't fully understand some of the feedback on a couple of the beers, based on what I am tasting, I have no complaints. I scored a 39 in my first comp on a beer that was probably past its peak drinking conditions when I sent it in. That's a win in my book. Will learn from this year, and hopefully send in some more next year.

Back