Scorched Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I brewed my first ebiab batch and ruined the beer. My element is completely black and the beer tastes like ash.

Please help me troubleshoot the cause.

I think the most likely problem is that after removing the grains from the mash, I put the basket (bayou classic) back into the pot. I did this to avoid hitting the element with the spoon and/or wort chiller. I talked with manufacturer of the system. He always leaves the basket out during the boil. He believes the basket would probably trap hot break and hop debris around the element. He has sold many of these units and has never heard of a similar problem.

I probably exacerbated the problem by overshooting my water volume and running the element at full throttle to reduce my boil volume.

What do you think? Do any of you leave the basket in the pot during the boil?

Thanks.

Not sure about your equipment; does it include an ultra low watt density heating element? I made an electric keggle with a higher watt density element and scorched two batches before I figured out my problem. No problems since switching to the Camco ripple model.

Not sure about your equipment; does it include an ultra low watt density heating element? I made an electric keggle with a higher watt density element and scorched two batches before I figured out my problem. No problems since switching to the Camco ripple model.

It is a 4,500W ultra low watt density element.

My guess would be that something, possibly the basket in conjunction with the break material, prevented circulation around the element.

You can get a pretty serious temperature variation under the basket and the basket will restrict the "rolling" motion of the boil. Take that in combination with running the element wide open and scorching is definitely gonna be an issue.

Just out of curiosity. Are you using the High Gravity eBIAB setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can get a pretty serious temperature variation under the basket and the basket will restrict the "rolling" motion of the boil. Take that in combination with running the element wide open and scorching is definitely gonna be an issue.

Just out of curiosity. Are you using the High Gravity eBIAB setup?

Yeah, I have the High Gravity eBIAB setup. I think it will work really well once I quit scorching the beer. :(

Dave has been very helpful. He even offered to replace the element if I can't get it clean. I didn't think that was necessary. It was my mistake, but I appreciate his effort provide good customer service.

Cool! I have the High Gravity with the EBC-SV, 44qt BC and Chugger. I have about 6 batches done on the system so far and love it.

Latest posts

Back