Schwartzbier with Hazelnut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2rnewton

Reaction score
I am looking for something different for my winter brew. I have done porters and stouts over last several years. Picked up a Schwartzbier kit yesterday. Want to add some flavoring to it. I bought some hazelnut extract. I also have coconut and spearmint in the freezer. I am leaning towards the hazelnut. I made a hazelnut stout several years back and it turned out great. The LHS had Rogue Hazelnut Brown on tap in the lobby. I took that as a sign. Thoughts please? A Zymurgy Padawon.....

I make hazelnut stouts too .

Of those options: mint, coconut, or hazelnut, I'd go with hazelnut. The coconut would likely get drowned out and the mint might clash.

Some thoughts:
When I imagine of drinking a Kostritzer with and without hazelnut flavor, I think I like it better without.

What is the base grain of the kit? If it's Pils, then I say try it.

If it's Munich, then I'd say don't try it. I make my schwarzbiers as Munich-Bock based beer. I don't think Munich malt and hazelnut would mix well.

Thanks for advice.

The kit is 2/3 pils base, so I will try the hazelnut.

I have been on a kick to add flavors to all kits lately. This was the summer of orange. A Belgium wit and cream ale with orange zest. Both turned out awesome.

Will let you know how it turned out later this year.

Thanks.

Brewed and bottled my hazelnut schwartzbier before holidays. Will do a first article test and provide status next weekend.

Latest posts

Back