Schramm's Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our meads hold up really well against oxidation, and several months corked is not unheard of. I wouldn't go more than a week or two, personally, but it's only because it wouldn't survive long. We don't hear our honey must, pasteurize, or filter anything we make, so all of those enzymes and antioxidant compounds from the honey and the fruit are still in the mead. This is our running theory as to how our meads resist oxidation. Usually winemakers add sulfite to preserve their products (usually for back sweetening) and this can also give you some protection against oxidation, but we don't add any chemical preservatives. Instead we rely on the alcohol to act as a preservative, like natural winemakers.

i had heard that they can last up to 3 months so i held onto an opened bottle of the statement for 5 weeks. took a few ounces on a few occasions within the first 2 weeks and then held the last few ounces to share with a friend, corked in the fridge. took the bottle out of the fridge about an hour before we finished the last few ounces and it was as amazing as the day i first opened it. i love the idea of having an open bottle to take an ounce from every now and again, but would hate to have a drop go bad on me. it really is such amazing nectar.

so what are the thoughts on the growth in popularity, particularly within the world of craft beer geeks?

so what are the thoughts on the growth in popularity, particularly within the world of craft beer geeks?

I think it's a natural extension to the idea that the craft drinker is heading back towards a world of unabashed flavor indulgence. We're seeing this with craft beer (more hops, more malt, fewer adjuncts) and we're seeing it with food (more heirloom varieties, less processing, fewer preservatives, farm-to-table, etc).

The world has gotten away from real flavor, instead we've been raised on 'flavoring'. It's really easy to make and sell a cheap product with some flavoring that comes from an organic chemistry lab somewhere - and in fact you'll see these types of products in the top-10 whatever-the-product-is lists. This is because most people don't have a great reference point for real flavor.

At Schramm's, we make mead with real ingredients, like whole red raspberries, fresh ginger, and cherries hand-picked at the peak of ripeness. We'd like to set a new standard for what mead can be in terms of flavor, and being true to your ingredients is step # 1.

I think it's a natural extension to the idea that the craft drinker is heading back towards a world of unabashed flavor indulgence. We're seeing this with craft beer (more hops, more malt, fewer adjuncts) and we're seeing it with food (more heirloom varieties, less processing, fewer preservatives, farm-to-table, etc).

The world has gotten away from real flavor, instead we've been raised on 'flavoring'. It's really easy to make and sell a cheap product with some flavoring that comes from an organic chemistry lab somewhere - and in fact you'll see these types of products in the top-10 whatever-the-product-is lists. This is because most people don't have a great reference point for real flavor.

At Schramm's, we make mead with real ingredients, like whole red raspberries, fresh ginger, and cherries hand-picked at the peak of ripeness. We'd like to set a new standard for what mead can be in terms of flavor, and being true to your ingredients is step # 1.

I've never tried mead but now I really want to. Does anyone know the best mead available in Portland?

giphy.gif

keep up the awesomeness

My thesis is titled "RATES AND MODES OF SEQUENCE EVOLUTION IN VARIOUS LINEAGES WITHIN CHENOPODIACEAE".

From the abstract: "Sexual dimorphism in domesticated spinach, Spinacia oleracea, is thought to be determined by differential expression of floral organ identity genes. We examined the floral organ morphologies of seven species in the Chenopodiaceae, including two wild species of spinach, in order to gain insight into the evolution of floral reproductive strategy in this clade. The species within the Anserineae demonstrate extensive evolution in floral morphology and reproductive strategy, and Spinacia is unique for having been domesticated rather recently and for being dioecious. We found C. album to be hermaphroditic, C. foliosum and M. nuttalliana to be gynomonoecious, while C. bonus-henricus exhibits protogyny. For each species and cultivar examined, we isolated sequences for the genesUNUSUAL FLORAL ORGANS (UFO), AGAMOUS (AG),APETALA3 (AP3), PISTILLATA (PI) and for the gene coding for the small subunit of the RuBisCO complex (RBCS), which is involved in carbon fixation during photosynthesis. We also analyzed published sequences for the chloroplast genes RBCLand MATK. The RBCS, MATK, UFO, AG, AP3, and PI genes reveal a consistent phylogeny that most likely represents the true organismal phylogeny for these species, providing key insights into the evolution of reproductive strategy in this tribe. Phylogenetic analysis of the RBCL gene shows Spinacia as sister to M. nuttalliana, and placing C. album within a cluster with C. bonus-henricus and C. foliosum. This tree topology deviates from those generated from TRNL-F/ITS data as well as all others generated in this study. All of these other gene analyses consistently give Spinacia as sister to a clade that includes C. bonus-henricus, C. foliosum, and M. nuttalliana, recently recognized as the genus Blitum. We demonstrate evidence for increased rates of nucleotide substitutions in Spinacia, though there is no molecular evidence for domestication or positive selection. Our findings indicate that sequence evolution in this tribe is being driven mostly by insertion/deletion mutations for the genes sampled, and show that Spinacia has a unique combination of mutations in the coding regions of the floral identity genes AP3 and PI. We also describe unique polymorphisms in a hypervariable region of the UFO gene that are unique to Spinacia."

tl;dr: Spinach has males and females like hops & cannabis, without sex chromosomes like humans. I sequenced some genes and found stuff out.

I vote all scientific papers and theses need a tl;dr. An abstract of the abstract, if you will.

'The Statement' batch 2 is going into bottles this weekend. It is not exactly the same as batch 1, but it is sooooo delicious. Our hope for every batch (or 'vintage') is for each to be uniquely delicious, more or less the same, but with differences vintage to vintage, like fine red wines. I think this batch will get a couple more gold medals this year, for sure. It is the awesome-st expression of the tart Traverse City balaton cherries that there is out there, I think.

Many surprises coming soon, but they wouldn't be surprises if I gave them all away, would they?! All I'll say is this holiday season you're going to want to sign up for our Mazer Club. We announced our 'Apple' release for our one-year anniversary on Sept. 27th, and its one of our best meads we've ever made, only ~400 bottles this year (since it is made from cider from Ken's apples, 50+ varieties in all). No water or yeast was added, its just cider and honey, spontaneously fermented on glass since last year's apple harvest, expertly blended by Ken Schramm from ~10 carboys or so. Just for that I'd sign up, but the holidays (and February ;)) are going to be really great coming up. Our mead is just going to keep getting better as we really get into the groove of our system and expand a little with more and better tanks.

any ETAs on the next batch of the statement? any other surprises coming up soon? Naegerbomb

'The Statement' batch 2 is going into bottles this weekend. It is not exactly the same as batch 1, but it is sooooo delicious. Our hope for every batch (or 'vintage') is for each to be uniquely delicious, more or less the same, but with differences vintage to vintage, like fine red wines. I think this batch will get a couple more gold medals this year, for sure. It is the awesome-st expression of the tart Traverse City balaton cherries that there is out there, I think.

Many surprises coming soon, but they wouldn't be surprises if I gave them all away, would they?! All I'll say is this holiday season you're going to want to sign up for our Mazer Club. We announced our 'Apple' release for our one-year anniversary on Sept. 27th, and its one of our best meads we've ever made, only ~400 bottles this year (since it is made from cider from Ken's apples, 50+ varieties in all). No water or yeast was added, its just cider and honey, spontaneously fermented on glass since last year's apple harvest, expertly blended by Ken Schramm from ~10 carboys or so. Just for that I'd sign up, but the holidays (and February ;)) are going to be really great coming up. Our mead is just going to keep getting better as we really get into the groove of our system and expand a little with more and better tanks.
Is there any point in signing up if you're from out of town? I can't quite tell from the page if it's the sort of thing where I could sign up and get a trustee to send me stuff.

Is there any point in signing up if you're from out of town? I can't quite tell from the page if it's the sort of thing where I could sign up and get a trustee to send me stuff.
I know people with trustees and I know a few trustees. If only you knew someone who lived a mile away from Schramm's and came out to the Bay Area once every couple of months...

I know people with trustees and I know a few trustees. If only you knew someone who lived a mile away from Schramm's and came out to the Bay Area once every couple of months...
Well I didn't know if they allowed trustees at all! But that has been conclusively answered, what the hell for $75 I'll give it a whirl.

Also Statement B2 sounds amazing!
I don't see a single flavor descriptor in here:

I can taste those gold medals! Sounds delicious!

How does this Mazer thing work? Will Schramm's now email me price lists of bottles available and i can just call up and give over my credit card? I didn't see any meads listed on their site. I just want first dibs at that next Statement and HoD.

How does this Mazer thing work? Will Schramm's now email me price lists of bottles available and i can just call up and give over my credit card? I didn't see any meads listed on their site. I just want first dibs at that next Statement and HoD.
I sent Naegerbomb a message asking for clarification. Maybe that can be posted up here. I'm sure others are curious.

Is it only a discount club? No meads with the membership fee?
Appears so. But if you compare it to having Michigan go-and-pick-it-up-for-you-bro then you only need to buy like 20 bottles for it to make sense. Add in being able to get first access to some cool-sounding stuff and I think it's worth checking out for costing so little.

Back