Schneider Weisse Aventinus Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunsteve

Reaction score
Going to be doing this tonight BIAB style, 70 min mash and 60 min boil. Will ferment around 66F. Thoughts on grain bill ?

Grains :

9 lbs wheat malt (option to mix in some dark wheat)

2.5 lbs german pilsner (two row)

1.5 lbs caramunich Type II

0.5 lbs crystal malt

0.25 lbs Melanoidin malt

0.25 lbs chocolate malt (40L)

1 lbs rice hulls

Hops:

1 oz Hallertauer (0.75 oz at start of boil, 0.25 oz at end of boil)

Yeast:

Preferably Wyeast 3068 or 17

Alright, I'm trying my hand at an Aventinus clone. This will be my 3rd BIAB batch and the first one with new equipment (a 15.5G half-barrel stainless steel keg, 60,000BTU burner, and a custom bag).

This was created from research of different clone recipe attempts, trying to build on the consistencies and successes. I'm planning to do this on September 9, any feedback prior to then would be GREAT!!

I plan to culture yeast directly from a bottle of Tap 6 Aventinus, and will create a 1 quart starter out of it.

As you'll see, the 15.5G kettle will not hold enough water when factoring in boil off, loss to trub, etc. so Beersmith 2 is telling me I'll need to add about 4G of water to the fermenter in order to ensure I have about 1G of headspace for the boil.

Modified Recipe
--------------------------
Recipe Type: All Grain (BIAB)
Yeast: Aventinus culture from bottle
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size: 10 gal
Boil Size: 12 gal (add 4 gal top up to fermenter)
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 18.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes
Mash In: 60 Minutes with 12 gal of water @ 152 F
Mash Out: 10 Minutes with 0.00 gal of water at 170.0 F

Ingredients:
---------------
18.7 lb Wheat Malt
4.40 lb Munich Malt
3.30 lb Caramunich Malt
2.20 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Malt
1.10 ln Melanoiden Malt
0.55 lb Roasted Barley
2.00 oz Hallertau (70 min) Hops
2.00 oz Hallertau (10 min) Hops
5 grams Irish moss (10 min)

Total Grain Weight: 30.25 lbs

Not sure the roasted barley has much place there, and that's a lot of caramunich. You'll have a hard time getting it to finish dry. Wheat, munich, some caramunich, some pilsner, and some melanoidin all fit. Irish moss in a wheat beer also isn't necessary or make sense. Think dunkelweiss on steroids. More bittering to hit 20-25 IBUs would also be more in line.
I hope it turns out. Not sure they bottle with the fermenting yeast- you could use a German hefeweizen yeast and be appropriate. You'll want more than a 1 quart starter, for 10 gallons of 1.085 beer you'll probably want 4-5 liters of starter.

Back