Scarborough Fair Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about that for some time, i'm not entirely sure how much to put in though. I want to make it with oregano, basil, thyme, sage, parsley, cilantro, and maybe some dill.

I'm thinking rosemary should be the smallest component of the herb blend, because it's pretty powerful. Parsely should be pretty small too, because IMO it has a kind of earthy (i.e. like dirt) flavor.

I think if you add other herbs you shouldn't really call it Scarborough Fair mead, though.

Not yet. I have a 5 gal batch of mead in primary that's ready for secondary. I'm gonna split it into 1 gallon batches. I'm thinking I might try sage, rosemary, and thyme varieties (don't think there's any point in doing parsely solo), and one with all four.

Has anyone tried making a metheglyn with parsely, sage, rosemary and thyme?

I haven't used parsely in my mead, but I did make a mead with thyme, rosemary, allspice, sage, hyssop, and a few others in one batch. Turned out really nice. I'm trying to find the recipe, but the internet here at works stinks.

I'm actually pretty curious about using celery seed in mead, since celery soda is so darn tootin good (feh, I do prefer the profanity I must say). However, SWMBO made it pretty clear that if Im to make another gallon in the next 3 months I would have to get rid of one. :-(. If someone does make a celery seed batch, please let me be the first to know.

Found the list of spices that I used in the mead. They are as follows: rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaf, hyssop, all spice, clove, ginger and the zests of lemon and orange.

It turned out really tasty.

Found the list of spices that I used in the mead. They are as follows: rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaf, hyssop, all spice, clove, ginger and the zests of lemon and orange.

It turned out really tasty.

I'd love to taste that. Maybe Ill look into making a batch after I finish the ones I have going.

We made something similar with saffron instead of parsley. I used 1/4 cup dried saffron I bought from costco in bulk, 2oz each of fresh sage, rosemarry and thyme for a 5 gallon batch. I had the same concern about the rosemarry but the final out come was one of our best meads. we took it to Pennsic and it did not last much longer than the 2 week event.
I think I'm going to have to start posting our recipes soon. I just have to find the book first.

Latest posts

Back