South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah man. I was like this isnt what i was going for... then the next day it was good! Crazy how it changed like basically overnight
I'm probably doing a NEIPA and a belgian blonde this weekend. Gonna throw some cryo in the NEIPA. I can't believe this as I type it, but I've never used simcoe before :eek: so I'm doing a NEIPA with mosaic, nelson sauvin, and simcoe (with some of the mosaic and simcoe being cryo). I thought I was going to have to order the nelson and I couldn't find it anywhere online. Called Kevin and he's got it. Should have known DIY would have me covered!!

Man one of my favorite beers i made was a simcoe smash from northern brewer man was that tasty probably my favorite hop hands down!
Although ive never used nelson... lol

Last edited:
Man one of my favorite beers i made was a simcoe smash from northern brewer man was that tasty probably my favorite hop hands down!
Although ive never used nelson... lol
I've only used nelson once. I think it was on my second beer ever (extract DIPA). But I LOVE it. Huge wine berry nose, and pretty danky as well. Should go nicely with mosaic and simcoe.

Anybody know anything about this new Steel Hands Brewery slated to open up in Cayce later this year? Article says they will produce "10,000 bottles of beer annually." Uhhhh...please tell me that's a typo! Looks like they got brewmaster Mark Walters, formerly of Abita, formerly of River Rat (guy is a journeyman brewer if I've ever seen one). More info here: http://www.coladaily.com/2018/03/07/new-10000-sq-ft-steel-hands-production-brewery-coming-cayce/

ETA: ****, maybe it's not a typo. Somebody check my math, but 10,000 bottles equates to around 30 bbl of beer, yes? I guess they are hitting the ground running. Who the hell is bankrolling this thing?

ETA2: Just realized HBT censors my "shiit" to "poopy." Nerds.

Key word annually
Right. But 30bbl the first year is ambitious, no? How many breweries can say they got 30bbl out the door their first year, other than one with a fat bankroll at opening like Wicked Weed?

ETA: Oh! Wait. You meant annually as in that's their production goals, i.e., not necessarily the first year. Is that what you meant?

30 bbl is light. Maybe 30 bbl is from their projected opening in the Fall of 2018 to the end of the year.

I'm confident it's a typo and they are intending on trying to produce 10,000 barrels a year. I'm also confident that number is way too ambitious and if they based their business model on that number, they are going to struggle. But I wish them all the luck in the world and more than anything I hope they make great beer. We need a great brewery in this town.
FYI, River Rat has the capacity to brew 7600 bbl a year after their expansion in 2016.

Oh guys is anyone here on untappd? Add me. My name is Shaiv on there too

I'm confident it's a typo and they are intending on trying to produce 10,000 barrels a year. I'm also confident that number is way too ambitious and if they based their business model on that number, they are going to struggle. But I wish them all the luck in the world and more than anything I hope they make great beer. We need a great brewery in this town.
FYI, River Rat has the capacity to brew 7600 bbl a year after their expansion in 2016.
I hope so too. But I'm afraid it's going to be more Standardtown USA beers. Not that there's anything wrong with having a good IPA, stout, porter, brown on your taplist. I just wish we could get a brewery that would really start doing some interesting stuff (and more barrels).

Yeah i dont partake in sours Lol. Just not my thing, i will drink about anything else but i only like to spend money and time on hoppy beer.

Yeah i dont partake in sours Lol. Just not my thing, i will drink about anything else but i only like to spend money and time on hoppy beer.
Heard that! And I totally get it. I've found that, for the most part, people either love or hate sours, very little in between. But that's one thing that makes our hobby so great--we can brew whatever the hell we want to brew. I tend to stick to IPAs, sours, stouts, and saisons because that's what I like to brew. But I also jumped in our club's survivor series competition just to force me to stretch my legs some. Our first beer is a belgian blonde. I've never brewed one before because I don't really drink them either. But bless it, I like learning new stuff!

So, evidently you are put in post limit jail when you first join and can only post 5 times in 24 hours..
I was reading an article about Mark Walters from when he was opening Savannah River brewing last spring in Augusta. The owner said in the article that Mark told him the brewery should focus on only 4 beers at opening, an IPA, a brown, a pilsner and an Amber.
Taking it pretty safe. I would bet this brewery goes a similar route. Nothing too crazy.

As for sours, I am still in the acclimating phase. Trying them every so often and slowly getting into them.

Kind of like my start with drinking good beers.
Several years back, probably about 7-8, my old company had a Christmas party. They had an open bar with the run of the mill domestic beers but also had Stone IPA. So I tried one. At the time I had started drifting away from drinking Yuengling to trying fat tire, 420, SN pale ale, etc.
I tried the Stone IPA and couldn't get through it. It was too bitter and hoppy for me.
One year later at the same party, the Stone was all I drank. Loved it.

So, evidently you are put in post limit jail when you first join and can only post 5 times in 24 hours..
I was reading an article about Mark Walters from when he was opening Savannah River brewing last spring in Augusta. The owner said in the article that Mark told him the brewery should focus on only 4 beers at opening, an IPA, a brown, a pilsner and an Amber.
Taking it pretty safe. I would bet this brewery goes a similar route. Nothing too crazy.

As for sours, I am still in the acclimating phase. Trying them every so often and slowly getting into them.

Kind of like my start with drinking good beers.
Several years back, probably about 7-8, my old company had a Christmas party. They had an open bar with the run of the mill domestic beers but also had Stone IPA. So I tried one. At the time I had started drifting away from drinking Yuengling to trying fat tire, 420, SN pale ale, etc.
I tried the Stone IPA and couldn't get through it. It was too bitter and hoppy for me.
One year later at the same party, the Stone was all I drank. Loved it.
I definitely think a lot of people get into craft as hop heads. I know I damn sure did. I'd probably still describe myself as a hop head. My oldest brother (formerly roommates with Oceangrace24) just started getting into craft a few years ago and he was the same way. Within the last year he's started getting more into stouts, but he still hasn't fully embraced sours yet.

I like most sours but solidly dislike anything that uses Belgian yeast. Haven’t found a Belgian I like yet. I gravitate towards the porters, stouts, and English styles. Also the super clean lagers. And if this iPhone autocorrects one more word- my hammer arm may start itching

Didn’t want to be critical of sours. Not my thing. It just seems that most craft brewery’s believe that they must have a sour program to be considered “craft” these days.

I like most sours but solidly dislike anything that uses Belgian yeast. Haven’t found a Belgian I like yet. I gravitate towards the porters, stouts, and English styles. Also the super clean lagers. And if this iPhone autocorrects one more word- my hammer arm may start itching

Yeah man. Id take a belgian over a sour though. I do like good lagers a lot, that would probably be my second favorite style to anything hoppy.
Dude i turned off my autocorrect! You cant even say the word kegging without it changing it to legging! Like Wtf? No more autocorrect for me. I dont care if my “i”s are capital! screw it. Lol

Also i dont really consider myself a hop head... more like obsessed with hops flavor and aroma

Didn’t want to be critical of sours. Not my thing. It just seems that most craft brewery’s believe that they must have a sour program to be considered “craft” these days.
I get that for sure. I think a lot of breweries pump out kettle sours because they're easy and it hits another demographic without having to create an entirely separate sour "program" in the brewhouse. Personally I don't love kettle sours either, just too one dimensional.

So i had a sweetwater neipa last night. It seemed to lack flavor. Idk if thats just me or if it was past its prime though the regular ipas and pale ales in that same pack were great so idk call me crazy but im not super impressed with any of the neipas ive had. They were fine and good just maybe im more into the bitterness flavors? Hmmm

So i had a sweetwater neipa last night. It seemed to lack flavor. Idk if thats just me or if it was past its prime though the regular ipas and pale ales in that same pack were great so idk call me crazy but im not super impressed with any of the neipas ive had. They were fine and good just maybe im more into the bitterness flavors? Hmmm

To my knowledge, I’ve still not tried an neipa. I’m curious since I’m not a fan of the heavy bitterness of ipa/iipa’s.

Maybe so. NEIPAs are definitely not as heavy handed (or shouldn't be) on the bitterness as, say, a west coast. The only truly legit NEIPA, IMO, that can be found in SC is in Charleston at the Charlestowne Fermentory. The guy(s) who opened that came from Trillium and Tired Hands as well. IMO, Treehouse and Trillium are the absolute best in the haze game. And I put Fermentory's NEIPAs right up there with Trillium (for the most part I like Trillium better than Treehouse). But, they don't distro much at all, so you've got to go to the taproom, but they often release cans. I propped up some yeast from one of their cans and have been using it in my NEIPAs. It's insanely aggressive. First time I used it, the beer dropped 40 points in about 2 days. So I've had to move my first biotrans dry hop to yeast pitch or day 1 instead of day 2-3. Southern Barrel (Bluffton) has Damn Yankee, but it has been outrageously inconsistent. The first batch (about 2 years ago?) had good color, but the flavor was way off. Found out subsequently they accidentally dumped in too much crystal. The second batch was pretty spot on, but a little too heavy handed on the bitterness. Then every batch since then has been pretty meh. And I'm convinced he has/had an infection on his canning line. Most cans were way overcarbed and I saw many bulging at the seams on shelves in Greens.

As far as Sweetwater's, I haven't had theirs. I've had Sierra's Hazy Little Thing. It's solid with decent color, but it's not completely to style (even though there really isn't an established style currently). Burial up in AVL occasionally puts out some good ones, usually as collabs with other guys. Their most recent one was phenomenal.

I had hazy little thing too but it was definately not fresh. Thats why i hate buying beer! Ugh. /rant lol.

Anyway has anyone heard of this glitter beer? Lol i just heard of it yesterday... its uhh, different...

If you're in Charleston, try Throat Charmer from Two Blokes brewing. It drinks easy at 7.4% and is really similar to our 8% NEIPA Cloudy Daze(which I have available right now). If your looking for beer with a twist, just wait until we open in the next couple of months. Nothing safe and always a new beer fermenting.
Cheers!

Hey crescentfresh, you still around these parts? I want to swing by again next time you're brewing and take a closer look at your RIMS tube and setup. I'm still battling mash temps some (not as bad though) and considering saying bless it and getting a RIMS tube.

If you're in Charleston, try Throat Charmer from Two Blokes brewing. It drinks easy at 7.4% and is really similar to our 8% NEIPA Cloudy Daze(which I have available right now). If your looking for beer with a twist, just wait until we open in the next couple of months. Nothing safe and always a new beer fermenting.
Cheers!
I've been itching to try a pour of this! When can I come by and check out the setup? Y'all get moved over and everything? Missed y'all on Monday.

Guys i went to arc3 gas this morning since they open at 8 and i could still make it to work. They dont do tank fills only exchanges

Guys i went to arc3 gas this morning since they open at 8 and i could still make it to work. They dont do tank fills only exchanges
I've always done exchanges, at either Praxair or Airgas on Shop Rd. You trying to keep your tank or something? I don't know anyone in Cola that does fills, except maybe the fire extinguisher place on Rosewood. But even there I think you have to leave it so they can chill the tank or do whatever they have to do prior to filling it.

Yeah caraway has filled mine right then and there before. Id be fine with dropping it off and picking it up a day or two later. Idk y they didnt say they could do that. I have a brand new shiny tank and it may be silly but i dont want to give it up for some ol piece of junk. Lol

Are there any homebrew clubs in the Columbia area? I tried reaching out to Palmetto State Brewers, but all the email addresses listed on their site bounce back, and no one responds to their facebook posts.

We’ve updated the website so I don’t know what’s happening with that. We are active and meet on the second Monday of the month at Zorbas on St Andrews. Always have a pretty good turnout for the meetings and active in competitions. One of our members took a gold medal at NHC for his pale ale in 2016.

Last edited:
Are there any homebrew clubs in the Columbia area? I tried reaching out to Palmetto State Brewers, but all the email addresses listed on their site bounce back, and no one responds to their facebook posts.

Yeah i tried to post on their forum before i started talking to travelinglight on here and started this thread. There was no response to my post

Latest posts

Back