Saving Purchased All Grain Kits (pre crushed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
I do not have a local homebrew shop. Was thinking about buying multiple kits from morebeer.com (to get free shipping and to have something on hand) and thought that since they should ship in sealed bags that the crushed grain should last for a bit. Right? Does that sound crazy?

I order almost all my supplies from Morebeer. Their kits are packaged well and I think you'll be fine ordering multiple kits from them. I don't know how long you intend on storing it until you can use it, but if you keep it in a cool dry area away from extreme temp swings and mice can't get into it, you should be fine. The kits I order are mostly extract kits with grain or partial mash kits, but the grains are packaged well.

Since crushed grain has a shorter shelf life than uncrushed grains you may want to use them within several months. Don't stock up for years. Heat, moisture and air are the enemies of grain. If you think you won't use the kits for a while, put the bags of grain and the hops in your freezer. I've never bought their kits, but I do buy some grain from Morebeer and they package it in strong plastic bags, so that helps.

Back