Saving a brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlevings12

Reaction score
Help. Inherited a brew kettle, but it leaked. Upon inspection it seems a badly drilled hole is the culprit. Valve is 3/4 inch. I’m wondering if I can fix this by increasing the hole size to 1 inch and buying a larger valve. Any thoughts?
IMG_1515862687.230218.jpg
IMG_1515862717.602441.jpg

As a first step, I'd try to flatten that mess out, perhaps a big nut and bolt with heavy washers on both sides. Just be sure not make the material fold over on itself. If you can get it flat, you can probably get a good seal. Good luck!

That’s what I was thinking. My fear was that the damage is done.

That's the good news. The damage IS done. The worst you are likely do is leave it just the same. If that dimpled hole is 7/8", it'll flatten out at around 13/16", which IIRC is ideal for that kettle valve.

Thanks. Last thing. Any recommendations on where to find appropriate size o-rings and stainless washers and nuts? I checked at the local Home Depot with no success. Maybe Ace Hardware?

Take the valve with you to a local hardware store. The big chains are fine, if you know exactly what you want, not so good if you need assistance. Other sources could be industrial bearing suppliers, nut & bolt distributors, farm & ranch supply, local auto & truck supply, plumbing supply houses.

On line, McMaster-Carr is your friend. I used to order from them while deployed in the Indian Ocean, they beat the Navy supply system every time.

Black neoprene washer and two stainless flat washers. Test run with boiling water. No leaks. Trimmed the neoprene washer down after installing. Thanks everyone for the input!
IMG_1515879154.058710.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0366.jpg

I love this success story. Did you flatten it out at all before adding the washers? Where did you get the washers from?

Thanks! The hole was not quite as gnarly as the picture made it look. There was significant unevenness but it was t really bent at all. I got the neoprene washers from Ace Hardware.

Back