Save my Melomel!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I had a free afternoon unexpectedly and decided to whip up a melomel on the fly. I grabbed 6# of frozen cherries and 3# frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blue, black and raspberries) and added them in primary to a 4 gallon batch with 12# of wildflower honey.

I am a beer guy and didn't do enough homework on this one so I made the mistake of getting sweet cherries instead of tart (they didn't have tart) which I am now reading is a surefire way to make cough syrup mead.

I am day 3 into a VIGOROUS (read explosive) ferment...is there any way to save this melomel from the dreaded 'robitussin' curse???

I think with the berries you'll be fine. If it's too sweet blend it with a dry plain mead.
Cheers

I think with the berries you'll be fine. If it's too sweet blend it with a dry plain mead.
Cheers

Thanks, I hope you are right. I'm getting some of those cough syrup aromas during fermentation but it could be in my head...

I thought of maybe racking onto a few pounds of black currant puree or something in secondary, you think that might help?

My understanding is that a cough medicine taste is caused by a high alcohol wine with too little acidity. The latter metric deals with TA and not pH. Do you have a kit to measure TA (titratable acidity)? It should be about .65g/L

Back