Save money - buy from Midwest Supplies on Amazon.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richierch4

Reaction score
Weirdest thing today... I went to Midwest Supplies to buy a water filtration unit. It is $39.99.
I moved through the process to purchase, then noticed how much shipping was going to cost - $14.82.
Add in $3.99 for tax, and the total was going to be $58.80.
I backed out and went to Amazon.com, where the exact same water filter sold right through Midwest Supplies is $39.99. Shipping through this option is $6.46 and the tax was 34 cents. The grand total was $46.79.
I saved $12 on the exact same filter from the exact same store by purchasing it through Amazon. How does this make any sense?

Perhaps it's sold by Midwest but they already sent it to Amazon so amazon will be full-filling the order through their shipping. Who knows though, I think i'll check amazon next time i need to purchase some items.

Personally I save money by not using them at all.

FWIW whenever you buy multipurpose equipment that happens to have a brewing use, like a water filter, you are better off not purchasing it from a site that specializes in that type equipment. Brewing sites use their standard mark up formula for anything they sell, while the margins through a less niche-y retailer are much tighter.

Personally I save money by not using them at all.

FWIW whenever you buy multipurpose equipment that happens to have a brewing use, like a water filter, you are better off not purchasing it from a site that specializes in that type equipment. Brewing sites use their standard mark up formula for anything they sell, while the margins through a less niche-y retailer are much tighter.

Definitely. You can piece together a water filter yourself using parts from Home Depot or Lowes for a lot cheaper than $40.

I understand I can build my own filter for under $40. The post wasn't meant as a way to save money when you buy a water filter. It was meant as a way to bring attention to an odd circumstance where ordering a product through a middle party ultimately resulted in a lower price for the product of my choice.
Just checked, and to buy one pound of PBW, the total price on Amazon (fulfilled and sold by Midwest Supplies) is $13.06.
To buy the same product directly from Midwest Supplies, the price is $23.93.
(Cue commenters telling me I can use OxiClean instead of PBW.)

I always check Amazon before I buy. Even buying through Amazon but shipped by Midwest (for example) works out cheaper sometimes. Even better if it is shipped and sold by Amazon.

You know what i noticed the other day? If you check amazon, you can find Midwest products for cheaper.

Calichusetts said:
I too have done that with Amazon and Midwest. I actually found Midwest through Amazon.
Frankly, I've quit buying anything through Amazon. They don't back up the buyer when the seller screws up the order, their shipping times have increased w/ every order.
My LHBS has most things I need & the few they don't I get directly from Bargain Fittings,Beverage Elements, etc. Shipping is reasonable & quick & most importantly accurate.

I love bargainfittings.com- Awesome products, cheap shipping, good customer service, and QUICK shipping.

Just got my LAST order from Amazon! It took them 14 days to ship in stock items! I've already gotten somewhere else. Now they want to charge extra shipment to return. I'll keep this but I'm done w/ them. Canceling my account now!

Prime. Free 2 day shipping from Amazon. I live in the boonies so I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon. Just got a 40 lb bag of dog food, two days, free shipping. However grains are horribly expensive, and hops are too!

richierch4 said:
I understand I can build my own filter for under $40. The post wasn't meant as a way to save money when you buy a water filter. It was meant as a way to bring attention to an odd circumstance where ordering a product through a middle party ultimately resulted in a lower price for the product of my choice.
Just checked, and to buy one pound of PBW, the total price on Amazon (fulfilled and sold by Midwest Supplies) is $13.06.
To buy the same product directly from Midwest Supplies, the price is $23.93.
(Cue commenters telling me I can use OxiClean instead of PBW.)

You could use OxiClean instead of PBW...

I too have noticed cheaper items from Midwest via amazon. I quit ordering from Midwest after their recent contact info/credit card info theft issue. Amazon is awesome however. Never had an issue that they did not resolve. Prime is a must if you buy through Amazon. Free 2nd day air shipping or upgrade to next day for $5 for any purchases that are "prime". Also gives you access to their video streaming service and much if it is accessible for free.

I 2nd, or 3rd, what has been said about Amazon Prime. If you buy a lot of stuff through them it is definitely worth it. Not to mention with Prime you get a lot of free online videos and tv shows like Netflix that you can stream to your computer.

Frankly, I've quit buying anything through Amazon. They don't back up the buyer when the seller screws up the order, their shipping times have increased w/ every order.

I have literally never had a problem with Amazon. I've had people steal packages off my porch, I've had stuff show up broken, I've had stuff just not work. Amazon always just sends new stuff.

Back