Sashimi is Good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
That is all.

lol. Finally worked up the chutzpah to try it. No more just saying it. Not much of a fish person, and don't care for wasabi or seaweed, so sushi for the most part has been out.

Now, I like salmon. Yeah I know, not a fish person....it's the exception. lol Sooo I decided to try salmon sashimi.

I was a bit apprehensive since it's a rather potent fish. So I popped it in my mouth. HOLY COW MY MIND WAS BLOWN! Not the least bit fishy or anything. Not only was it fantastic, I wanted more.

If I knew I could get the same freshness and quality from the store I'd be eating it all the time. Farm raised, mind you. Bears totally have the right idea. Why bother cooking what's better raw? lol

People who exclusively eat raw uncooked meals mainly say they do it because once you cook it, it looses a lot of beneficial nutrients, vitamins, and minerals... There is a cooked (steamed) salmon called Sake though, I wonder if you had that, it tastes a little less like fish than the cooked version.

Sushi is definitely my favorite type of food out there. I usually go for rolls rather than sashimi though. Mix some wasabi with my soy sauce, stir it up, and dip my rolls into it. DELICIOUS. Me and a good buddy of mind go to Sushi restaurants together all the time, and we are lucky if we make it out there spending less than $70 on food and drinks.

That is all.

lol. Finally worked up the chutzpah to try it. No more just saying it. Not much of a fish person, and don't care for wasabi or seaweed, so sushi for the most part has been out.

Now, I like salmon. Yeah I know, not a fish person....it's the exception. lol Sooo I decided to try salmon sashimi.

I was a bit apprehensive since it's a rather potent fish. So I popped it in my mouth. HOLY COW MY MIND WAS BLOWN! Not the least bit fishy or anything. Not only was it fantastic, I wanted more.

If I knew I could get the same freshness and quality from the store I'd be eating it all the time. Farm raised, mind you. Bears totally have the right idea. Why bother cooking what's better raw? lol

Salmon is one of the lesser sashimis, try some black bream or some scallop sashimi, the scallop is phenomenal.

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to shellfish, so I'm limited, but I'll eat any of the shashimi's that won't kill me. The only sushi I ever order is eel. I really like eel with the rice for some reason. But man, shashimi is the best!

I like sushi but there are some that are an acquired taste: sea urchin being the one that comes to mind. I absolutely HATE sea urchin sushi but I had some fresh sea urchin with lemon juice, capers, olive oil, and bread while in Greece. Much better.

Tuna
Yellowtail
White Tuna
Salmon

my fav 4 sashimi !

Funny, it took a while for me to get up to sushi - and then, I was that "california roll" noob for the longest. Cooked shrimp, crab, etc.

Once I tried the salmon and tuna rolls, (many years ago!) it was on -

I too, usually lay down $60-70 on some really good rolls, sashimi, and a nice Sweetwater IPA

Try ikura (salmon roe), it's one of my top 3 sushi favs. I like it best without the quail egg on it though. Regards, GF.

I need to try some of that. I had "sushi" once at a chinese restaurant up here, and I am not sure if it was "real" or not.

I have taken a bite of raw fish that I caught once. Not bad.

Another great sashimi is Mackerel, very very tasty. In fact Macks have to be one of the best fish out there all told, very plentiful in the Summer, nothing like pulling in a string of 6 of them off the boat or pier :)

I like tuna and salmon rolls, but have not worked up the nerve for sashimi. I too am allergic to shellfish and don't much for real fishy tasting fish, but I love salmon and tuna rolls.

IP, next time you're out try it. Start with salmon and tuna and don't go crazy with the wasabi and soy. The "proper" way to eat sushi/sashimi is to put a little bit of wasabi on the tip of the chopstick instead of mixing it with soy, but to each his own. Another thing to try if you have a top notch joint nearby is sit at the bar and have the chef just feed you whatever he wants. It's an awesome experience and will be an amazing meal if he's good. Best of all, it is P90x food! :D

I'm more of a sushi and rolls person. The smoked, freshwater eel is prob my fave. I almost always get a spicy Tuna roll but those can be soooooo variable. I also love those tempura 'chips' on or in a roll.

BTW, not all sushi is raw; try the unagi or the anago (broiled freshwater eel & salt water eel respectively). Try the spider roll, no actual spiders, just a sort of crab tempura. Most sushi places will have some sort of sushi platter (usually nigri & a roll or two) so you can try many different things. Some places will even have a sort of sashimi platter so you can try several types.

It's a lot of fun to sit down at the sushi bar & have a beer or 2 while reading the menu(s) & watching the chef(s) do their thing, I can understand how this could be elevated to an artform. I like to go when it's not too busy, that way the chef will have time to answer questions; I've never met a sushi chef who didn't enjoy sharing their love of sushi & making another convert. Regards, GF.

Back