Sanyo SR-4433S . . . MAYBE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLoBaLReBeL

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone was able to bend the freezer compartment on this mini-fridge to turn it into a kegerator. I already have the unit and don't want to buy a separate fridge. I barely use this, and thought why not?

I have read of people bending the freezer compartment on other mini-fridges but just wondering if anyone has done it on this before I try to tackle it.

Germ, I certainly appreciate your time. not sure if that 1 thread with 5 posts beats the topic to death. the 4433s has a freezer component at the top.

Please reply if you've successfully dealt w/ the freezer component on the 4433s.

Thanks again Germ, sorry to have bothered you

Germ, I certainly appreciate your time. not sure if that 1 thread with 5 posts beats the topic to death. the 4433s has a freezer component at the top.

Please reply if you've successfully dealt w/ the freezer component on the 4433s.

Thanks again Germ, sorry to have bothered you

Sorry I came off as brash...I was taking a five minute break at work so had to act quickly. I was honestly trying to help...not be a dick about it!

Plus the only reason I knew there was so much info on sanyos was because I researched it a few months ago myself!

oh no worries, that's the fun w/ forums. written communication is difficult because - well just what you said.
thanks again for your reply

I know this thread is old, but FWIW, I was able to bend down the freezer compartment on the Sanyo SR-4433S. It's too small to fit two kegs..but it fits one with the CO2 canister.

I know this thread is old, but FWIW, I was able to bend down the freezer compartment on the Sanyo SR-4433S. It's too small to fit two kegs..but it fits one with the CO2 canister.

Darn. Thanks for this info! I just saw one come up on Craigslist, and was trying to see if it would accommodate two cornies.

It looks frustratingly close in dimensions to the 4.4 cu ft Danby DAR440, which just holds 2 cornies with a 5 lb CO2.

But I'm guessing the bent-down condenser and the side-mounted thermostat take up just enough room inside to ruin it?

Can anyone help me out with this, I have a 4433s that I would like to use but I am hoping someone on this forum who has used a 4433 could help me out. I am fine with only having 1 5 gallon corny in it but where have people put the taps on these? I am not really sure what 'bending' the freezer unit entails, can anyone give me more details?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone help me out with this, I have a 4433s that I would like to use but I am hoping someone on this forum who has used a 4433 could help me out. I am fine with only having 1 5 gallon corny in it but where have people put the taps on these? I am not really sure what 'bending' the freezer unit entails, can anyone give me more details?

Thanks in advance

Hey Barhoc11,

This is super easy. Basically, make sure your fridge has been unplugged for a day or two and that it is at room temperature. You do NOT want to attempt to bend the freezer compartment down while the line is cold. (The freezer compartment is what cools the entire fridge.)

Once it is at room temp, start freeing it away from everywhere the metal freezer tray is attached to the sidewalls of the fridge and slowly, (SLOWLY) bend it downward and against the back wall. It's been a while since I did mine and I can't remember whether there were any screws and such to remove, but I don't believe there were.

Once you have done that, you're ready to install the tap. I put mine dead center of the top. I used a hole saw on a drill and went straight through.

I keep my fridge in the garage, so pardon the stuff sitting around it...but here's a pic of my finished kegerator.

kegerator1.jpg

Thanks Ryan, I actually tried bending mine before I had a good idea on what to do but I bent it up instead of down like you did. It seems to be functioning fine as my fridge was 35 degrees this morning when I woke up... do you see any issue with beding it up version down? Are there any line on the top that I would need to worry about before drilling to put a faucet up top?

The only thing that concerns me about the way you did it, is that you need room for the beer line to go up into the tap. Seems like the freezer would be in the way.

Additionally, since the freezer tray has been shoved up to the top of the fridge, you may run the risk of freezing the beer line. I would suggest unplugging it and letting it come to room temperature, and then bend the freezer tray down so that it is vertical.

That will leave you plenty of room for the beer line and prevent freezing.

That sounds like what I need to do, bend it down. Did you have any issues putting the tap in the top? I know some units have lines running through the top but maybe these Sanyo's dont?

I think some Sanyo's do have lines that run through the top, but the 4433S doesn't....or if it does, they aren't anywhere near dead center of the top.

Here's a better picture of the top with the tap installed.

kegerator2.jpg

Thanks again Ryan, I was able to bend it down today and hoping that it cools down like normal. I am hoping you are correct when you say that the 4433s don't have a line running across the top but I might do the corn starch trick anyways to make sure. I decided it is more practical to do a tower instead of a faucet out the front door. I just wish I could fit 2 kegs in instead of just one but I will be content with one for now.

After letting my refrigerator run for couple days i am noticing some condensation and a lot of noise, is this to be expected? I run the thing in the 'Min' setting but it seems to make the fridge around 33 degrees and that seems like too cold.

Have you noticed any different sounds or issues with keeping the temperature steady after you bent down the freezer? I am assuming I havent broken my fridge since its getting pretty cold but it seems to run a lot and make noise. Maybe I never noticed before?

Hey,

I have run into the same problem with mine. It froze my keg even though it was set to the warmest setting and I can't seem to find any kind of information in any forums about this issue or how to fix it. I'm thinking I'm goin to get some insulation foam and a piece of 1/2 inch ply and try to put a barrier between the cooling unit and the rest of the contents in the fridge. Does anyone think this solution might work?

I haven't noticed the noise, but my fridge is in the garage. Even when I'm in the garage, I've never noticed a noise that wasn't normal. I finally put my fridge on a digital timer so that it turns on and off several times a day. Seems to be the only way I can keep the keg from freezing.

RyanSweeney said:
I haven't noticed the noise, but my fridge is in the garage. Even when I'm in the garage, I've never noticed a noise that wasn't normal. I finally put my fridge on a digital timer so that it turns on and off several times a day. Seems to be the only way I can keep the keg from freezing.

That's is a good idea. Simple yet effective. If you don't mind my asking what's the best timing cycle for keeping the fridge cold without freezing?

That's is a good idea. Simple yet effective. If you don't mind my asking what's the best timing cycle for keeping the fridge cold without freezing?

I'll have to look at the schedule and post it on here. I'll try to do that tomorrow evening...got plans tonight.

Hey Barhoc11,

Once it is at room temp, start freeing it away from everywhere the metal freezer tray is attached to the sidewalls of the fridge and slowly, (SLOWLY) bend it downward and against the back wall.

Crap, crap, crap. I was bending the line and heard a *pop* and then fssss. Looked, around, I've got nothing to repair a broken line like this. Closed the door, opened the window, turned on the fan. That's a $40 craigslist lesson.

For anyone who is interested, I have my timer set to the following sequence:

ON - 1am
OFF - 3am
ON - 5am
OFF - 8am
ON - 10am
OFF - 1pm
ON - 3pm
OFF - 6pm
ON - 8pm
OFF - 10pm

Your timing sequence may vary. I live in Tennessee where it gets real freakin' hot in the summer time, and again, my fridge is in the garage with no A/C.

I'm sure once winter sets in, I'll have to adjust accordingly.

I am sure the timer method works for you but if you have a desire to get the fridge temperature controlled, buy a temperature controller, well worth it IMO. I set mine to 45 degrees and let it do its thing.

Just going to throw my experience in. I can fit a pin lock keg in there and a tank with no modification. I just leave my perlick laying on top of the keg inside, not much into the tower look. I am having an issue at the moment because i DID try to remove the freezer shelf by bending it and I moved the thermostat sensor out of it's original spot... not it just runs all the time and it's chilling at like 30F

I have since sold my Sanyo but it is a fine fridge IF you put a temp controller on it. I highly recommend the ebay Aquarium temperature controller build since it doesn't cost much and it gives you the option to heat and cool if you ever need it.

@ryansweeney I just successfully bent the freezer try down on my 4433 and have been testing temperature. It seems I created on large freezer. the thermostat is at 3 and temp is 20 degrees. did you have any temperature issues?

+1 to that. I moved the sensor and forgot where our was. Now it hovers at 32 on the warmest setting.

*BUMP*

I have one of these now and am just getting it set up. I'm not installing a tower yet so I won't be bending the freezer compartment (just yet) but I do want to drill a hole to run my gas line in from the outside. Does anybody know where I can find the wiring diagram so I can tell where it's safe to drill?
I'm thinking that one of the sides or the back wall look ideal but obviously don't want to drill through anything.

Google searches turn up the user manual but that's just about how to turn the dial on the temp control. :)

*BUMP*

I have one of these now and am just getting it set up. I'm not installing a tower yet so I won't be bending the freezer compartment (just yet) but I do want to drill a hole to run my gas line in from the outside. Does anybody know where I can find the wiring diagram so I can tell where it's safe to drill?
I'm thinking that one of the sides or the back wall look ideal but obviously don't want to drill through anything.

Google searches turn up the user manual but that's just about how to turn the dial on the temp control. :)

Plug it in and let it run for a few days. Then feel around on the outside housing. Where it's warm is the general area where the lines run. You can try the corn starch and water trick to get a more precise location if needed.

Thanks, I've felt around a few times already but I'm hoping for a more precise method if possible.

Final bump before I drill a test hole tomorrow.

Hoping somebody knows where the lines run or can provide a link to a diagram, etc.

Is that the same model as the SR-4433S?

If so, I think the answer is "no". I have (2) 2.5g kegs in mine but I had to build a mini shelf that extends from the half-shelf that is built in (over the compresser, etc.) in the back.

Those 2.5G kegs on that shelf leave just a little headroom - but keep in mind that I didn't bend down the freezer section either.

Now that I'm ramlbing, let's make this easy. Tell me if we're talking about the same fridge and I will measure it inside when I get home and provide you the specs.

Also, since I don't use 5G corneys, tell me the specs on that (or I will look it up later).

yes sorry. 4433s is what i have. it looks like in order to bend the freezer tray down i may have to cut the shelf grooves the tray sits in so i can then bend it down. once i do that im curious if i can fit 2 five gal cornys in there, possibly by doing what you said as well in extending that small bottom shelf a bit to get some more depth. thanks!

Ok, so you have one and don't need me to measure then ;)

Good luck with your project. Someday I may turn mine into a kegerator and drill through the lid to install a tower but for now I'm quite happy with the two picnic taps just sitting inside.

The only thing that concerns me about the way you did it, is that you need room for the beer line to go up into the tap. Seems like the freezer would be in the way.

Additionally, since the freezer tray has been shoved up to the top of the fridge, you may run the risk of freezing the beer line. I would suggest unplugging it and letting it come to room temperature, and then bend the freezer tray down so that it is vertical.

That will leave you plenty of room for the beer line and prevent freezing.

I would like to convert one in order to fit 2 corny kegs. CO2 will be stored outside. Do I need a Thermostat adapter? Hit me up when you get a chance. My email is stivnikATgmailDOTcom. thx, and I am buzzing from my Pliny the Elder clone. Whoah!

Steve in DC

Does anyone have advice for re-attaching the door seal after removal of the door shelving? I have an SR-4434S on loan from a friend and don't want to do any permanent modifications. The door shelving is what clamps the seal to the door frame. Unfortunately, the door shelving is deep enough into the fridge that I can't even fit a brew bucket. Would a piece of 1/8" plywood or masonite do the trick?

http://imgur.com/a/et4mJ

Sauced - I know it's not what you are looking for, but I took a box cutter to my door shelving. Just left a frame of the plastic to screw that seal back down. The rest of the shelving went to the trash.

Back