Sanitation Bucket Scratches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my first batch. I was reading some other posts about scratches in buckets and how they pose threats for contamination in batches. Are scratches in buckets full of starsan sanitation solution OK? Or are people speaking about scratches in fermentation and bottling buckets? Excuse my newbie ness.

If you're only using the bucket as a sanitation bucket, then there are no worries about minor scratching.

Do not use a bucket for fermentation that has scratches in it. That's where you're starting to risk infection.

Personally I think the scratch thing is a myth. I've been using buckets with scratches and I don't get infections. Look at it like this, if liquid can get in there and carry the bug back out to infect your beer, then star san can get in there and kill it.

I live in wine country. You should see these big plastic open fermenters that the red wine is in....believe me, it is scratched up. I really don't worry about normal wear and tear on my pails. If you're really concerned, fill them with 180F water and OxyClean

BBL_Brewer said:
Personally I think the scratch thing is a myth. I've been using buckets with scratches and I don't get infections. Look at it like this, if liquid can get in there and carry the bug back out to infect your beer, then star san can get in there and kill it.

Second.

Thanks for your input. The only scratches I have are on the buckets that I will be using for sanitizing my equipment. Sounds like I'll be OK

Back