Salvage a Stale Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giorgio-alemani

Reaction score
Newbie here.
I realize now after opening a really flat beer after three weeks in the bottle that I probably staled the beer when I stirred in the priming sugar. I just read that oxidizing the fermented beer will stale it. I stirred the hell outta the beer to mix my sugar - rookie move. Any chance of saving it or is it all washed up?

Flat beer and stale beer are different animals. If the bottle you opened is flat, it could mean either a) your priming sugar wasn't mixed in well (doesn't seem likely given how you said you stirred it) or b) it just needs more time at the right temperature to finish carbonating.

A few questions to help identify what is going on:
What was the OG of the beer? What was your process for priming it? How warm have you been keeping the bottles while waiting for them to carbonate?

Thanks for offering to help. The OG was 1.042 and I primed with a cup of brown sugar as per the recipe (it was supposed to be a bass clone). The bottle have been kept at 80-85 for three weeks. It's hard to keep them cooler here in Texas.

Are you getting any gas release when you pop the caps (a nice "ffft" sound)? If so, it is possible that all the CO2 is in the headspace and not dissolved in the beer, especially if the beers are being conditioned at higher temps like 80-85F. The higher the beer temperature, the lower the amount of gas that can actually dissolve in the beer.

After carbonation, you need to put the beers into the fridge for several days for the CO2 to go into solution IN the beer (i.e. make bubbles).

You said you put a whole cup of brown sugar in to prime? What was the size of the batch in gallons? I'd expect no more than 1/2 cup for 5 gallons. Did you dissolve the sugar in water before you put it in the beer?

80-85F to condition is fine. Over 70F is good, probably want to keep them below 90F.

The fact there is a little gas escaping is a good sign. They may just need a little more time. Also, British ale styles are not as highly carbonated as some other styles.

To really check the state of the carbonation, take one of the beers and put it in your refrigerator (40-50F) for several days. That gives the CO2 in the headspace the opportunity to dissolve back into the beer.

As TC said just put the bottles in the fridge though I would leave them about a week for the CO2 to be absorbed into the beer.

Thanks all. I used a bit shy of a whole cup (packed loosely). I'll pop on in the fridge now And try it this weekend. I'll repost then.

If it's just a slight noise of air escaping when you open one at room temperature, it's probably a sign that it is carbonating and needs a little longer (if the full amount of CO2 were in the headspace, it would make more than a slight sound, and if more were dissolved in the beer you wouldn't have flat beer). I'd put one in the fridge to sample, too, but just don't expect it to be perfectly carbonated because it sounds like might need longer to finish the job. It'll still be a damn fine beer, it's just that the rest will be even better when they are fully carbed.

So I had a placed a single beer in the fridge on Monday and drank it today to find it is still flat. Back to square one

Just put another bottle in the fridge for another week, and then check that.

If you stirred in the sugar as you indicated and the yeast are healthy, they will eventually carbonate. It never happens as fast as you like. Keep calm and carry on.

So I have basically given up on this batch. The bottles are still flat...BUT I opened one of the flip top "grolsch" style bottles and it was the only one that was carbed properly. Why would this bottle carbonate when all the 47 others have not?

Is it possible the other bottles did not have a good cap seal? Were they twist off cap bottles?

Funny, that's what I was wondering as well. It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone has done that.

If the beer is truly oxidized, it will have the taste of stale cardboard. There is no fix for that.

Oh, next time, just use corn or cane (table) sugar for priming. Priming is not the time to get fancy trying to add some kind of flavor via honey, brown sugar, agave nectar, etc. Use an online priming calculator and weigh the sugar on a scale.

BigFloyd said:
Oh, next time, just use corn or cane (table) sugar for priming. Priming is not the time to get fancy trying to add some kind of flavor via honey, brown sugar, agave nectar, etc. Use an online priming calculator and weigh the sugar on a scale.

I hate to say but I've got to agree. Just about every time I've tried to carb with something cool, it all goes awry. In fact I've prolly tried to carb with maple syrup more times than with than dextrose, and I've had more under carbed beers than not lol.

One of these days though... One of these days.

Bigelow92 said:
I hate to say but I've got to agree. Just about every time I've tried to carb with something cool, it all goes awry. In fact I've prolly tried to carb with maple syrup more times than with than dextrose, and I've had more under carbed beers than not lol. One of these days though... One of these days.

Sounds like you're due...Next time will be flawless.

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about going forward and I appreciate that. To next time, cheers!

I think I have a solution for you. I have a batch that's grossly over carbed. I'm talking geiser that wells up and fill a full moss with foam. Perhaps if we take your beer, put it in a 6 pack rack with my beer, leave it in a cold dark place for a month...... naw never mind ;)

william_shakes_beer said:
I think I have a solution for you. I have a batch that's grossly over carbed. I'm talking geiser that wells up and fill a full moss with foam. Perhaps if we take your beer, put it in a 6 pack rack with my beer, leave it in a cold dark place for a month...... naw never mind ;)

Haha. I'd drive over in a flash! I'm just going to give these bottles away as "gifts" and this way friends can't say they never tried my homebrew

giorgio-alemani said:
Haha. I'd drive over in a flash! I'm just going to give these bottles away as "gifts" and this way friends can't say they never tried my homebrew

You don't wanna scare em away from future brews! But then again, I don't think I've ever liked my own keg...

Hmm, maybe I should pour some coors in unmarked bottles and tell everyone it's my latest batch....... >: )

You don't wanna scare em away from future brews! But then again, I don't think I've ever liked my own keg...

Hmm, maybe I should pour some coors in unmarked bottles and tell everyone it's my latest batch....... >: )

That'll scare them away from home brew for sure (assuming they have functioning taste buds).:D

A couple other people have mentioned it already, but I wanted to point out that brown sugar is tough to measure by volume because it is so compactable. To use brown sugar, you should really weigh it.

Me, I always use table sugar because I have it anyways...and I weigh it.

Back